[Peace-discuss] From Olean --RE: [Peace] P4P Our Job Is Not Over

bdyskant at earthlink.net bdyskant at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 11 09:35:22 CDT 2003

Hi all,

As part of the "Direct Action" committee of the Olean Area Coalition for
Peace and Justice (and considering myself an "in absentia" member of AWARE
forever), I'm  heartened to hear you folks are all keeping up the demos.
We're still keeping ours up too, this week-end-- we go out in the shopping
district here 1:30-3PM Saturdays.  We've been going through similar
experiences of what I like to call "growing pains" as we try to define our
focus.  So far we'll be "hitting" NO MORE WAR"  -- same wording as yours,
surprise.  It's critical to head off further wars.

I've got another one we've got that you might like --

MONEY FOR WAR MEANS NO MONEY FOR EDUCATION  (we can substitute healthcare,
and other services as well for Education if we like).

Also we're hitting on the veterans' medical care/cuts in services/depleted
uranium, etc.  There's plenty, that's for sure.

CIVIL LIBERTIES are another thing we're going to be focusing on.

Of interest, a news reporter from the Times-Herald (our local version of
the News-Gazette" attended our last Peace Coalition meeting and did a large
write-up.  What I gathered from that is that the local media (and
population) definitely wants to know if the peace group is going to "fold"
or flourish during this time, and we need to let them know we're here for
the "long run," including out there on the street, doing educational
events, etc.   This is what will give us credibility here (since we only
formed last November, we haven't been "tested" as long as AWARE has).

This period is an unique opportunity, right now, to draw in the elements of
the US policy that are underlying much of the war-- globalization, oil of
course, the budget, the economy, who profits, etc., expressing them in ways
the local people can relate to.  It also will keep us visible and growing
so that if another crisis occurs, we'll be up and running.

Thanks for being there.

With love, determination and caring,
Barbara

P.S.  Who knows-- all the peace actions may have kept Bush'n'cronies from
already invading Syria, Iran and elsewhere.  We're powerful!