[Peace-discuss] War Crimes by U.S.!!!!!

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Tue Apr 15 10:56:29 CDT 2003

The arrogance of DOD officials as demonstrated once more is beyond belief.
There is no accountability! If our objective really is / was to provide the
citizens of Iraq freedom and a safe envioronment then we never would have
used uranium munitons, would clean up the mess after the battle, and provide
medical care as required for all casualties. What do we do next?  I talked to
Austin at Sec Def PAO and his reply based on his own inquiries was to forget
it Doug, the policy has been decided.  I also called Jane Stole at VA DU
medical project at Baltimore V.A. Still waiting for a response call back just
like have been waiting from them for years.

DAMN THEM!!!!

doug

Department of Defense officials (Austin Camacho, 1-800-497-6261) have
confirmed in a telephone conversation at approximately 9:40 a.m. on April 15,
2003 that they will not clean up the uranium munitions contamination as
required by Army Regulations throughout Iraq, Kuwait,and Saudi Arabia that
has been and will be left my ongoing combat actions during Gulf War II and by
previous a combat actions during Gulf War I.  I asked about compliance with
6/93, 8/93, 10/93, 7/99 and 4/00 medical care directives and that also will
not be done.  THIS REFUSAL TO CLEAN UP URANIUM CONTAMINATION CAUSED BY
DELIBERATE USE OF URANIUM MUNITIONS AND TO PROVIDE MEDICAL CARE TO "ALL"
DEPLETED URANIUM CASUALTIES IS A CRIME AGAINST GOD AND HUMANITY.   The
citizens of the world, all government leaders, and United Nations
representatives who value human life and our environment must demand complete
environmental clean up or isolation of contaminated areas and prompt and
effective medical care for all uranium munitions casualties. Please help me
finish my Pentagon assigned tasking to clean up the DU mess and ensure
medical care is provided.

Thank you,

Dr. Doug Rokke, Ph.D.
Major, Medical Service Corps
U.S. Army Reserve
former Gulf War I Deplted uranium assessmnt team health physicist
former U.S. Army / Department of Defense Depleted Uranium project director

BBC news story follows:

US rejects Iraq DU clean-up
By Alex Kirby
BBC News Online environment correspondent

The US says it has no plans to remove the debris left over from depleted
uranium (DU) weapons it is using in Iraq.

It says no clean-up is needed, because research shows DU has no long-term
effects.
It says a 1990 study suggesting health risks to local people and veterans is
out of date.

A United Nations study found DU contaminating air and water seven years after
it was used.

DU, left over after natural uranium has been enriched, is 1.7 times denser
than lead, and very effective for punching through armoured vehicles.

When a weapon with a DU tip or core strikes a solid object, like the side of
a tank, it goes straight through before erupting in a burning cloud of
vapour. This settles as chemically poisonous and radioactive dust.

Risk studies

Both the US and the UK acknowledge the dust can be dangerous if inhaled,
though they say the danger is short-lived, localised, and much more likely to
lead to chemical poisoning than to irradiation.

One thing we've found in these various studies is that there are no long-term
effects from DU
Lieutenant-Colonel David Lapan, Pentagon spokesman
But a study prepared for the US Army in July 1990, a month before Iraq
invaded Kuwait, says: "The health risks associated with internal and external
DU exposure during combat conditions are certainly far less than other
combat-related risks.
"Following combat, however, the condition of the battlefield and the
long-term health risks to natives and combat veterans may become issues in
the acceptability of the continued use of DU."

A Pentagon spokesman, Lieutenant-Colonel David Lapan, told BBC News Online:
"Since then there've been a number of studies - by the UK's Royal Society and
the World Health Organisation, for example - into the health risks of DU, or
the lack of them.

"It's fair to say the 1990 study has been overtaken by them. One thing we've
found in these various studies is that there are no long-term effects from
DU.

"And given that, I don't believe we have any plans for a DU clean-up in
Iraq."

Part of the armoury

The UN Environment Programme study, published in March 2003, found DU in air
and groundwater in Bosnia-Herzegovina seven years after the weapons were
fired.

The UN says the existing data suggest it is "highly unlikely" DU could be
linked to any of the health problems reported.

But it recommends collecting DU fragments, covering contaminated points with
asphalt or clean soil, and keeping records of contaminated sites.

Reports from Baghdad speak of repeated attacks by US aircraft carrying DU
weapons on high-rise buildings in the city centre.

The UK says: "British forces on deployment to the Gulf have DU munitions
available as part of their armoury, and will use them if necessary." It will
not confirm they have used them.

Many veterans from the Gulf and Kosovo wars believe DU has made them
seriously ill.

One UK Gulf veteran is Ray Bristow, a former marathon runner.

In 1999 he told the BBC: "I gradually noticed that every time I went out for
a run my distance got shorter and shorter, my recovery time longer and
longer.

"Now, on my good days, I get around quite adequately with a walking stick, so
long as it's short distances. Any further, and I need to be pushed in a
wheelchair."

Ray Bristow was tested in Canada for DU. He is open-minded about its role in
his condition.

But he says: "I remained in Saudi Arabia throughout the war. I never once
went into Iraq or Kuwait, where these munitions were used.

"But the tests showed, in layman's terms, that I have been exposed to over
100 times an individual's safe annual exposure to depleted uranium."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/science/nature/2946715.stm

Published: 2003/04/14 14:55:26