[Peace-discuss] Rant on the SDA Monday night event

msimon at uiuc.edu msimon at uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 22 00:55:40 CDT 2003

Comments on Students for the Defense of America:

I just came from the "teach-in" for the Students for the
Defense of America, and I'm near tears.  So many racist
comments, believing that people from the Middle Eastern want
to be like Americans so they can eat Big Mac's and wear
bluejeans (and Gottheil wants us to remember that "the most
popular site in France is EuroDisney").  Of particular
interest was Gottheil's comparison of the similarities
between the failure of the Quebec separatist movement and the
Islamic states.  Its also so clear to me now that the main
reason for the Palestinian daily income of $2 is the region's
cultural and political backwardness.  Lord, I see the light!
Off to war to save the Middle Easterners.  We might even find
the grail this time!  Let me note a student comment during
the Q/A session of the evening: "The Crusades weren't all
bad.  They saved Europe from a Muslim invasion."

Disgusting!  What aggravated me most was the EASE with which
these students and teachers (who were ALL white) could make
and support these sort of claims (Gottheil: most Middle
Eastern countries are "closed  societies" and "failed
societies").  Whatever (little) worth was allocated by the
neo-cons in the room to the richness of Islam or to the
various Middle Eastern secular cultures was deemed an
unfortunate, but necessary casualty in this war on terrorism
and for democratization.  To set a false people on the right
path.  But there is no evangelism here, right!  We are a
secular state!

Equally disgusting was the ease with which they could spread
this nationalist gospel of American Exceptionalism without
ever giving voice to the fact that there are US minority
cultures still living modern, colonized, ghettoized
existences.  Again, the implication is that these American
colonized people too, are backwards, and will eventually give
up their struggles of self and cultural-preservation in the
face of the inevitable, enormous wave of Americanism,
Whiteness, and Progress.  Apparently, the disproportionate
number of blacks locked in prisions must continue until the
African-Americans learn the errors of their ways.  Of course,
there is no systemic governmental breakdown in national
policy that perpetuates such a situation.  "Damn dope
dealers!  Say no to drugs!  Let them stay in prison," they
say as they gleefully forgive Elliott Abrams, John
Poindexter, Richard Perle, John Negroponte, and Otto Reich
their little sins, their petty involvements in mass murders
and international drug trafficing (or in Perle's case,
alledgedly giving out classified intelligence information to
Israeli Ambassadors on two separate occasions), sins for
which they have NEVER apologized and repented.

How dare our government forgive such reptiles as these in the
name of dead South Americans, Middle Easterners and their
families!  This is one of America's greatest sins.

I've gone off on a tangent.  For in fact, Gottheil made it
quite clear that US minorities, African-Americans in
particular, oppose the war only because they have pressing,
and unrelated, social issues to work on and they don't like
attention being channelled to other theaters.  One student
turned to me with an alternate proposition, full of
reflection: "Blacks are generally leftists.  That's why
they're against the war."

But according to Gottheil, blacks aren't generally leftists
at all, at least where the war is concerned!  Nevermind
Zogby's recent statement: "The poll reveals that only...27%
of African American voters support the war."

"They [blacks] make up a large part of our Armed Forces," he
said, "They're patriotic!"  Of course, nothing was said about
military campaigns to recruit impovrished young people with
(often false) promises about $40,000 for college, plus job
training, adventure, and travel.  See the world from the
front lines and learn to write about it later on your free
ride at Harvard!  Spread freedom and bring me back a nice,
old Koran for the good ole bookshelf!

In aggravation,
Mike Simon