[Peace-discuss] Take action to support contraceptive coverage legislation

Brooke Anderson brooke at shout.net
Tue Apr 22 12:16:58 CDT 2003

Support Illinois House Bill 211
Contraceptive Equity in Health Insurance

Thousands of Illinois women are forced to pay $500-600 per year out
of pocket for their contraceptives because many health insurance
companies exclude contraceptives from their prescription drug
coverage.

Under HB 211, insurance plans that cover prescription drugs and
devices would be prohibited from excluding contraceptive drugs and
devices from that coverage.

Contraception is basic health care for women, is cost-effective, and
reduces the need for abortions by preventing unplanned pregnancies.
Segregating out prescription contraceptives from insurance plans that
cover other prescription medications constitutes gender
discrimination. Contraceptive coverage is a matter of fairness and
equity for the thousands of Illinois women.

Contact Senator Rick Winkel and tell him that you live and vote in
his district, and that you want him to vote YES for HB 211 -
Contraceptive Equity in Health Insurance:

(Phone) 	217-328-0400
(Email)  	rickwinkel at rickwinkel.com
(Postcard) 	Contact CCHCC for a postcard to send to Sen. Winkel.

It's important for us to be able to develop a list of everyone who
supports this legislation and who has contacted Sen. Winkel, so
please either copy brooke at shout.net on your emails to Winkel, or send
me a separate email to let me know you contacted him. Thanks!

For more information, or to volunteer for the campaign to pass House
Bill 211, contact me at (217) 352-6533, ext. 17 or at
brooke at shout.net.

Brooke Anderson * Women's Health Task Force
--
Brooke Anderson
Email = brooke at shout.net