[Peace-discuss] "Elect Peace in 2004"

Joseph T. Miller jtmiller at uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 24 12:40:34 CDT 2003

Friends,

I thought you'd like to see this. MoveOn.org is starting to get a campaign
organized to defeat Bush and the Republicans in 2004. The Republicans are
already well under way in their re-election effort, we need to get started too.

Read their email below and consider signing on to the campaign.

To sign up, click here:

   http://www.moveon.org/pac/newpres/

MoveOn will keep you updated when opportunities for action come up.

_____________________

Dear MoveOn Member,

The war in Iraq is over; the U.S. occupation of Iraq has now begun.
In an unnecessary war, victory is never sweet: American soldiers,
Iraqi civilians, and Iraqi soldiers lost their lives in a conflict
that never should have happened.  That's not victory, that's tragedy.

The hawks in the Bush Administration see this as a vindication of
their belligerent world view.  Never mind that we haven't found any
weapons  of mass destruction; never mind that Iraqi democracy (or even
security)  is nowhere in sight. The hotter heads have prevailed: pre-
emptive unilateralism is now the official policy of the U.S..  Vice
President Cheney, Secretary Rumsfeld, Paul Wolfowitz, and Richard
Perle are now thinking even bigger about the "projection of American
power."  In the chilling words of a senior official close to the Bush
administration, "Anyone can go to Baghdad.  Real men go to Tehran."

Folks, we just have to stop this madness, and there's really only one
way to do that: We need to throw these bums out. The good news is that
over the last few months, we've built a base that just may be large
enough to succeed.  MoveOn's total membership is now over 1.3 million.
We've taken out ads, written letters, delivered mountains of  petition
signatures, and taken action in hundreds of cities. And now we need to
turn our attention toward one goal: regime change in the USA, the best
way to repudiate Bush's policy of war.

Are you in?  If you're willing to help show Bush the door in 2004,
just click below.  We'll count you among the participants in this next
phase of the peace movement.

http://www.moveon.org/pac/newpres

We'll throw out Bush and the Republicans using every means available:
by registering a wave of new voters, by organizing to make sure they
get to the polls on election day, by raising enough money to compete
with the President's mountain of special interest money, and by
volunteering  for political campaigns. We'll make it easy for you to
play a part.

President Bush believes he doesn't have to listen to the American
public -- which, even during war, has overwhelmingly been skeptical or
strongly resistant to the idea of an American empire.  He has decided
that his faith in the military takes precedence over his faith in
democracy.  The election in 2004 is our chance to take our democracy
back.

Polls show overwhelmingly that American's do not trust President Bush
to revive the failing economy. They're just as concerned with the
Administration's assault on civil rights, civil liberties and the
environment. Last week in New Orleans, Presidential Advisor Karl Rove
said that this will be a "close, competitive" race. If all of us get
involved, it won't just  be tight.  We'll win.

And that will go down in history.  It will demonstrate that we mean
what  we say -- that we have the passion and the commitment to see our
approach to foreign policy through.  It will demonstrate that
politicians who seek to curry favor through belligerence face
political consequences, and that those who advocate a reasonable,
multilateral  foreign policy will be rewarded.  And it will set the
stage for an  American policy that leads the world into a cooperative
and safe future.

Let's elect a new President in 2004, and put an end to the politics of
unnecessary war.

Sincerely,

--Carrie, Eli, Joan, Peter, Wes, and Zack
  The MoveOn Team
  April 24th, 2003