[Peace-discuss] letter to NPR

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 27 07:53:49 CDT 2003

[In case you didn't hear Weekend Edition yesterday
morning, there was a disgusting piece of pro-war
propaganda masquerading as an interview with a
historian of various "liberations".  It could have
been straight out of the Council on Foreign Relations
newsletter.  I tried to keep my letter short and
relatively civil, but you should have heard this guy
prattle on about how liberated peoples always resent
their liberators because of the humiliation, etc.,
etc.  The question, of course, was why so many Iraqis
want US forces out of their country.  His answer,
basically, was they don't - they just resent that they
needed us, just like the French did after WWII.  You
had to hear it to believe it.  Anyway, I'm sharing my
letter in hopes of convincing any potential letter
writers that it's easy and you don't have to even have
an impressive analysis to write a letter. - RB]

Dear Weekend Edition:

Your interview with a ‘liberation’ historian this
Saturday April 26 was worthy of George Orwell’s best
work.  Never have I heard more tortured logic and
courageous lies of omission.  To equate the so-called
“liberation” of Iraq with the liberation of France
after the German occupation is truly to stand history
on its head.  The US, after all, invaded Iraq and
overthrew its government without provocation, which
was listed as a war crime at the famous Nuremburg
Trials.  But, of course, war supporters have to come
up with some explanation for the growing protests in
Iraq against the US occupation.

Please try to be a little more critical in the future.

Sincerely,
Ricky Baldwin
217-356-2205