[Peace-discuss] Gottheil response - DI 4/28 (Monday)

msimon at uiuc.edu msimon at uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 28 10:29:00 CDT 2003

SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT

Had The Daily Illini sent a reporter to cover the talks given
at the Students for the Defense of America "teach-in," it
would never have printed the unmitigated trash that Mike
Simon wrote (Friday, April 25) about the event.  My
talk, "Failed Societies and Modern Technology: A Dangerous
Mix," had little to do with Simon's claptrap.  I offered the
view that societies open to modern technology, modern ideas
and that participate in world markets succeed while those who
choose to shut out modernity fail.  That was the core of my
talk.  The empirical evidence supporting this view is
overwhelming.  Either Simon could not follow the argument or
simply didn't care what was said because he had his attack
already written for a talk that wasn't given.

I did not mention the race issue.  The race card was played
by Simon alone in the Q and A.  He portrayed African
Americans as leftists and at odds with American values.  By
leftists, he implied his brand of radicalism.  I thought his
comment was rather insulting.  I responded by saying that
African Americans fought side-by-side with other Americans to
defend this country and were as loyal to this country as were
any white Americans or Americans of any color.

I've been in this situation many, many times.  When you
oppose extremists of the left or of the right, be prepared.
They are typically energetic, live for the opportunity to
defame, distort and denounce.  It's their and our democratic
privilege.  But, frankly, it could also be exasperating.

Fred Gottheil
University Professor