[Peace-discuss] yet another letter to the editor

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 30 10:02:42 CDT 2003

Good letter.  I particularly like the specifics about the revolts, and
about Bechtel, Carroll, and Stevedoring Services.  I also like the conceit
(so to speak) of France in America.  It might be interesting to work out
what Louis XVI's ministers and generals would have done in America after
1781 -- and what the results would have been -- if France had behaved as
the US is in Iraq.  E.g., French occupation troops in Boston and New York,
firing on civilians -- a New York Massacre to go with the Boston one;
French financiers controlling Southern exports and ports; Washington and
Jefferson in custody; some Virginian who went to Paris in 1740 and stayed,
brought to Philadelphia on a French ship to become President of America...
why, the difficulties could lead to a Revolution in France itself...