[Peace-discuss] H20/coke responsible reporting

raia fink raiafink at students.uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 30 10:46:29 CDT 2003

Obviously there are hundreds of reasons to choose water over cola. Water
is essential and healthy, cola is unnecessary and unhealthy. And the
fact that there even exists a political element to the argument proves
that socially responsible folk ought to avoid coke.

However, some of the statements made about cola in the original post were
unfounded. Three of them were blatantly false. A piece of meat left to sit
in a vat of cola will absolutely NOT dissolve. You can trust me on this,
or you can waste the meat yourselves (not even getting into the politics
and environmental devastation surrounding meat). Nor will cola dissolve
even a tiny nail in 4 days (again, I did the experiment myself. But
think about it, if it did, would they recommend putting it on cars and
batteries and whatnot?) And, unfortunately, cola will not remove grease
stains from laundry. Really, I have clothing with permanant cola
stains, for pete's sake. I recommend abstaining from drinking cola, and
don't buy it for any other uses either. sheesh.

Alls I'm saying is that its irresponsible to be slanderous and uninformed.
It leads to questions pertaining to the validity of the water facts, and
allows for a quick and easy dismissal of the argument. There are plenty
of horrible truths we could be voicing about cola, why rely on
unsubstantiated rumor and urban legend?

A few more facts for a bigger picture:
-While cola has a pH of 2.8 and phosphoric acid content,
 freshly squeezed orange juice has a pH of 2.9-3.4 and contains folic,
 citric, and absorbic acid. Just cause its acid doesn't mean its
 unhealthy.
-Fruit juices, even the 100% fruit variety, have a sugar content eqivalent
 to cola. It's mostly the high sugar content that makes cola extremely
 unhealthy
-Vinegar has the highly acidic pH of 2 (more acidic than cola), and its
 one of the healthiest salad adornments you can use. Vinegar will
 'rubberize' an egg, but only if the egg is left to pickle in the vinegar
 for two months.
-natural (right from the mother source) water is one of the highest
 leading causes of bacteria and parasites in less developed nations
 and causes thousands of outbreaks and diahrreah deaths in children under
 five. This is preventable with simple filtration. Colas bottled in less
 developed nations at least use filtered water.
-arsenic is an element, 100% natural. That doesn't mean its good for you.

I guess that's probably enough. The point is, there are enough reasons to
promote healthy water consumption for all and fight cola consumption
without making crap up and using fuzzy logic.

-Raia

        Show me a time when violence is necessary and I will show you
              a time when you are not as free as you thought.
                           -Bombs don't meet needs-
                   raiafink at uiuc.edu - www.trica.com/gmf