[Peace-discuss] Some ideas

bdyskant at earthlink.net bdyskant at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 4 07:08:56 CDT 2003

Hi all,

Nice to keep hearing what is happening.  Over in Olean, we've done a few
things that have worked fairly well-- wanted to share them.

1.  We've begun a campaign celebrating the Bill of Rights and raising
awareness as to how they are trashed under current legislation and policy.
We started it on July 4th -- about 30 of us pranced down the town center as
part of the local July 4th parade (which we had officially entered--a story
in itself), carrying our brand-new 10-foot-wide Coalition banner that we
finally finished (hurray).  We started with a "Defend The Bill of Rights"
sign (carried by Erek), and the rest of us carried signs with a provision
of the Bill of Rights-- real radical ideas, Freedom of Speech, Freedom of
Religion, Right to a Free Public Trial, Freedom from Searches, etc., then
distributed literature explaining why and how these are being violated.
I think this is the first time such a thing has ever happened in this town.
We were greeted by much cheering.  We also had much fun and conversation.

This has been followed by a three-evening lecture/discussion series, titled
"Reflections on the First Amendment," each taking on a different point.
The first one, on "Freedom of Religion," was titled "Is America Safe For
Muslims" and had a panel of local Muslims (male and female) discussing
their experiences locally and  nationally, as well as their religion and
culture, and announcing the new Islamic Center.  The situation was
underscored by the fact that one of the three speakers couldn't get there
because he had been detained at the Canadian border-- he was hastily
replaced by another speaker.   We had gotten a press release printed by the
local newspaper, did a lot of calling, mailing and other publicity, and
drew a large crowd including quite a few new people.  The speakers said the
local people here have been very supportive (which was nice to know) and
also talked about the national situation, abuses, their own lifestyles,
etc.  The next day, we had the lead story in the local paper-- front page
top right, with photo, and a quite accurate reporting of the combination of
warm-fuzzy-praise for local people, and dismay at what is happening
everywhere and the need for raised awareness.  It looks like there may be a
women's meeting following at some point.

This month we're having sessions on "Freedom to Protest" featuring a nun
who has been involved in protest (Sr. Anne McCarthy), and next "Freedom of
the Press" with John Hanchette, a Pulitzer-prize-winning journalist
speaking about the "challenges" of reporting accurately these days.  I
think we'll have a large draw.

SO-- things continue on.  We're still working on ways to convey the message
about the horrible occupation in Iraq, and other aspects of domestic
policy.  The Bill of Rights and civil liberties focus has really "taken
off" and hopefully will get these issues (and the Coalition) into the eye
of everyone here.  "Support The Troops" is still equated with "Support
Bush" (or Seig Heil) among so many folks, and I'm sure you folks are
reacting to that the same way I am (yuck).

The Franciscan nuns are still doing a weekly peace vigil in the center of
town, open to all -- some of them marched with us on July 4th (perhaps
another first).

One of our members said we should be striving to help this area become "the
best educated local population in Western New York State."-- it looks like
we're on our way to raising quite a lot of awareness.

I miss you all, as usual-- and hope to get out to a meeting and any events
going on -- I haven't been able to get out as soon as I had hoped.

Warmly,
Barbara Dyskant (Olean NY and still(always) with AWARE)