[Peace-discuss] Fwd:Incredible News

Linda Evans veganlinda at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 6 15:10:06 CDT 2003

I'm a Kucinich supporter, but here is something else
to consider...

FIELD OF GREENS
The Green Party Plans to Field a Presidential
Candidate in 2004

National Green Party leaders came away from a late
July meeting with
plans to run presidential and vice presidential
candidates in next
year's elections -- consequences be damned.  Though
some Greens are
ambivalent about the prospect, the majority of the
leadership seems
to believe that the party needs a presidential nominee
in order to
command a national stage from which to address
important issues
related to the environment, social justice, corporate
power, and
more.  (No word yet on whether Ralph Nader might again
be the bearer
of the Green mantle.)  But by failing to make
strategic decisions
about which electoral battles to fight -- and which
not to -- the
Greens are set to damage the party's long-term
prospects, argues
Norman Solomon in Grist's Soapbox.

read it in Grist:  Greens plan to field a presidential
candidate in
2004 -- consequences be damned -- by Norman Solomon in
Soapbox
<http://www.gristmagazine.com/soapbox/solomon080603.asp?source=daily>

--- "C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu>
wrote:
> Comparison of Kucinich and Dean by Scott Bateman.
>
> Resources: Candidates websites and Google searches
>
> 1. Health-Care Plan
>
> Kucinich: Canadian-style single-payer system,
> extending the successes of
> Medicare, financed by a tax on employers lower than
> the current cost of
> private insurance. [Also financed in part by a peace
> dividend from a
> reduced military budget and waste.]
>
> Dean: Complex 4-prong plan, extending multiple state
> and federal programs
> piecemeal, combined with tax credits and incentives,
> all of which Dean
> claims is more likely to become law, but still won't
> cover everyone
>
> 2. Death Penalty
>
> Kucinich: Opposes.
>
> Dean: Favors for "extreme" crimes like terrorism or
> the killing of a
> police officer, although critical of Bush
> administration's "careless"
> approach to executions.
>
> 3. Roe v. Wade
>
> Kucinich: Pro-life until recently; now the only
> candidate pledging to make
> Roe v. Wade a "litmus test" for appointing federal
> judges.
>
> Dean: Pro-choice, but refuses to make Roe v. Wade a
> litmus test for
> federal judges.
>
> 4. Kyoto Treaty
>
> Kucinich: Supports.
>
> Dean: Says we must "take another look," but has
> "concerns" about some
> provisions.
>
> 5. Patriot Act
>
> Kucinich: Only presidential candidate who personally
> voted against it.
>
> Dean: Would repeal "parts," but also wants to expand
> intelligence
> agencies; praises Russ Feingold as only Senator who
> opposed the act,
> ignoring Kucinich's vocal House opposition, implying
> no other candidate
> opposed the Patriot Act.
>
> 6. NAFTA/WTO
>
> Kucinich: Full withdrawal, to replace with fair
> trade; opposes "fast
> track" treatment of any future trade legislation;
> personally marched in
> Seattle protests.
>
> Dean: Notes problems with "free" trade, suggesting
> the need for inclusion
> of human rights, environmental, and labor standards
> in trade agreements --
> but still pro-NAFTA.
>
> 7. "Star Wars" Ballistic Missile System
>
> Kucinich: Would abolish; has sponsored legislation
> banning weapons from
> space.
>
> Dean: Would cut only 1/8 of the funding,
> transferring it to international
> threat-reduction programs.
>
> 8. Pentagon Waste
>
> Kucinich: Would cut Pentagon programs which don't
> even work, like the
> V-22, F- 22, and "Star Wars," and demand
> accountability for over a $1
> trillion in "lost" funds.

> [...]
=== message truncated ===

=====
"As we talked of freedom and justice one day for all, we sat down to steaks.  I am eating misery, I thought, as I took the first bite.  And spit it out." - Alice Walker (author)