[Peace-discuss] The future of AWARE (survey proposal)

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 10 15:35:09 CDT 2003

Some have expressed concern recently about how AWARE is becoming increasingly diffuse now that the invasion of Iraq is complete. Indeed, now that the large-scale fighting is over, one can make the argument that other issues are just as urgent (perhaps even more) as the war's aftermath and the ongoing occupation of Iraq. And, as always, one can also make the argument (indeed, some in AWARE recently have) that one or another of countless worthy progressive causes deserve more attention.

I do suspect that ultimately, the 2004 election (and also, perhaps an accompanying war =8-P ), may serve to energize, unite and focus AWARE once again. However, between now and then, I'm worried that AWARE may increasingly become dispersed to the four winds, perhaps irreversibly. It seems we have folks increasingly advocating action on an expanding variety of issues in our meetings such as local discrimination/racism, environmental issues, media deregulation, etc. in addition to an expanding array of foreign policy and war concerns. However, the core group of AWARE folks that are active enough to attend meetings probably isn't more than 35 or so these days in total. And, with few exceptions, AWARE folks are not primarily activists - they have jobs and kids and other higher priorities. We have limited energy and resources, so one could argue (and some have) that we should focus more on the issues most important to the group as a whole.

Therein lies the problem. It's becoming less and less clear which issues are the most important to the group as a whole. So I propose we make a formal attempt to establish that as best we can, that way at least we know where we stand on the whole. Note that I'm *not* proposing this be binding in any way. I'm merely proposing we inform ourselves of where our collective wishes lie. Also note that I'm *not* proposing we try to establish preferred actions, strategies or tactics. Only specific issues which we want to address. The details on *how* we address issues can be worked out later.

I propose this be done at the September 7 meeting with some form of survey, tally or straw vote (I have a specific suggestion below). This is about a month away overall and about a week and half after classes start up again (and a week after the Labor Day weekend). The idea is to allow anyone that's out of town for the summer or on vacation to get settled and put some thought into this.

Mechanics suggestions:

1. How should proposed issues get added to the survey list?

While we could just do freeform brainstorming, I would argue against this - we'd just wind up with a very long list of pretty ambiguous words and phrases. I'd suggest individual advocates for particular issues step forward (perhaps teaming up with others) and formally submit a clear description of the issue close to their heart, optionally arguing for its importance within the submission. Anyone could submit an issue for consideration and it could be as simple or as detailed as they like.

2. What should the actual survey process be?

I have a suggestion based on an simple, efficient process I saw at the United for Peace and Justice conference in Chicago this past June.

The various issue proposals would be publicized, circulated, debated, discussed, etc. among all AWARE members in the days and weeks leading up to the survey date. Then on that date (and again, I'm proposing the Sunday, September 7 regular AWARE meeting for this), folks would show up in person, register at a desk manned by a team of volunteers (giving their name, phone, e-mail), whereupon they will be given a set of stickers that they can paste on sheets posted around the room, one sheet for each issue proposal. I suggest 5 stickers of one color indicating approval and 1 sticker of another indicating rejection. Folks can put their approval stickers wherever they want (all 5 on one issue, one sticker per issue, or whatever). Also, if they find a proposed issue particularly distasteful, they can put their "rejection" sticker on that if they wish.

I now appeal for discussion and debate on this. I hope to make a specific proposal and ask for formal approval at next week's (August 17) AWARE meeting.