[Peace-discuss] what freedom?

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Tue Aug 12 21:01:22 CDT 2003

Road blocks, AMERICANS SHOOTING KIDS, WOMEN, MEN, RANSACKING HOUSE, RAIDS,
curfews, depleted uranium contamaintion, conventional muniotsn contamaintion,
lomited to no medical care, etc. occupation of moslem country by U.s. for who
knows how long?   FREEDOM?  NOT HARDLY!

Bremer: Iraqis Should Relish Freedoms
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 7:37 p.m. ET

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) -- Iraqis should measure their progress by the freedoms
they enjoy, not the services they don't have, the top U.S. civilian
administrator for Iraq said Tuesday.

L. Paul Bremer told a news conference that while Iraqis complain of unsafe
streets and shortages of power, they must also realize that the fall of Saddam
Hussein has made their lives better.

``Freedom matters,'' Bremer said. ``I think it's important to ... look beyond
the shootouts and blackouts and remind ourselves of a range of rights that
Iraqis enjoy today because of the coalition's military victory.''

Iraqi frustration over power outages and fuel shortages has boiled over in
recent days. Summer temperatures creeping above 120 have exacerbated the
problems.

Thousands of people rioted last weekend in the southern city of Basra to
protest fuel, water and electricity shortages. Crowds have also demonstrated in
Baghdad and elsewhere demanding jobs they lost after Saddam's government fell in
early April.

Bremer said the U.S.-led coalition planned to install more generators and
restore refineries, and repeated promises that Iraqis would gradually regain
control of their own security. But he said Iraqis should not forget how much the
country has changed.

``Iraqis are free to stand up and denounce Saddam Hussein,'' he said. ``I
might add they are also free to stand up and denounce Jerry Bremer, as I judge
from your reports they do quite often.'' Jerry is Bremer's nickname.

Bremer also rejected criticism that frequent attacks on U.S. forces -- mostly
in the so-called ``Sunni Triangle'' north and west of Baghdad -- indicate the
coalition is struggling to keep control of the country.

``I don't accept the definition of a country in chaos. Most of this country
is at peace,'' Bremer said. ``We have a problem with attacks against coalition
forces in a small area of the country by a small group of bitter-end people
who are resisting the new Iraq.''