[Peace-discuss] Re: [Wefta] military recruitment on WEFT (!)

Kranich, Kimberlie Kranich at WILL.uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 22 09:24:05 CDT 2003

Dear Ricky, et. al,

A representative from both the WEFT Programming Committee and the WEFT Board
of Directors inquired after we learned about a complaint an AWARE person had
with and airshifter with regard to a PSA on the Palestinian Truth Tour. We
spoke to both parties. Without rehashing all of the details, it boiled down
to one of our airshifters strongly disagreeing with the tour and hanging up
on the AWARE person who called to inquire about airing the PSA and possible
show interviews. This was an unfortunate incident that does not, I believe,
represent how most WEFTies respond to listeners and members of the community
who call in with questions and need information about a WEFT procedure or
policy.

Ideally, WEFT accepts PSAs of all types (within legal guidelines), whether
or not we agree with the information, perspective, organization's goals,
etc. But, except in the case of WEFT PSAs for WEFT sponsored events, we do
not mandate which PSAs airshifters must play, only that they play two per
hour.

I think if AWARE wanted to produce a PSA about AWARE that you would find
WEFT airshfiters who would play it.

In the meantime, I will attempt to locate the PSA, have the programming
committee listen to it at our Wed. meeting, and determine if it was within
our PSA guidelines.

Please remember, too, that WEFT has a great learning curve. Except for the
station manger (who is part-time), we are all volunteers here who strive to
do a good job, to play music and express views and opinions and news not
heard anywhere else and to keep current with our understanding of our legal
requirements as a non-profit radio station.   It's a big job :-)

Kimberlie Kranich, WEFT
Programming Committee Chair