[Wefta] Re: [Peace-discuss] military recruitment on WEFT (!)

Chas. 'Mark' Bee c-bee1 at uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 22 11:31:17 CDT 2003

Alfred Kagan wrote:

> Doug,
>
> I think you are confusing censorship with selecting appropriate PSAs
> for WEFT's audience.  The military get lots of free advertising
> elsewhere.  They are hardly censored.  We don't need to play their
> advertisements for death and destruction.

      Dude, these are *not* reasons that would keep it from being
censorship.  Apparently another injection of reality is needed here.
Your motives for shutting this down, though perhaps honorable, are also
political ones - that's censorship, regardless of what happens 'elsewhere'.

   I'd like to suggest that anyone who wants to affect WEFT's handling
of PSAs come to the station and volunteer to handle PSAs.  Trust me,
it's not very difficult.  In fact, you could say there's an 'open-door'
policy.  And as a Board and PC member, I myself don't *ever* plan to
knuckle under to outside pressure from a special interest group over 60
seconds of air time.

   And in fact, if appropriate channels had been used instead of this
unfortunate but ever-popular 'outing WEFT' thing, the PSA would probably
be gone just as quickly.  I reviewed it last night, I think it has calls
to action in it, and I recommended its removal, strictly on the basis of
its legality when played by a non-profit.  It's being removed from the
PSA box, I hear, and once it gets a critical listening at the PC meeting
I imagine that's it.

   Viola.  The system works.  And WEFT didn't have to silence someone's
voice just because someone else didn't like it - which is a victory for
freedom no matter how you slice it.  And if you come get a show at WEFT,
we won't censor you either.  WEFT is not and must not be in that
business regardless of outside influence.

   -cmb, anti-war bigmouth, free speech broadcasting advocate

p.s.  The station takes PSAs from just about anybody, and I'm sure we'd
be glad to have yours.  There are specific FCC rules which apply (like
no calls to action), so please do be sure to *find out what they are*
before production in order to avoid unnecessary delays.  I don't know
for sure, but I think Sandra, WEFT's PC coordinator, can supply these on
request.  Or I can.  Or if that's not fast enough, there's always that
wonderful resource, www.fcc.gov.  We do have to take orders from them,
they have all the guns.  ;)