[Peace-discuss] Prospect 4 Peace police preachin'

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 11 14:40:46 CST 2003

Following up on last Saturday's incidents with police
and sidewalk drivers:

I spoke with dispatch on Monday.  Officer Hawkins, who
visited us at P4P Saturday, did not report or file
anything on the jeep, license plate TRENDS 5, that
drove up on the sidewalk while we were there.

I spoke with Lt Gallo today, who says the officer
should have.  "Just because no one was hit doesn't
mean it isn't serious," he said.  I'll be stopping by
the department to fill out something before the end of
teh week.

Also, Lt Gallo says Officer Hawkins should have been
aware of our right to give out leaflets and the rules
we agreed to follow.  (We can walk on the street on
the right side of the first lane of traffic, while it
is stopped, but not between the cars, not into the
left lane, and nowhere near the median.)  He seemed
concerned about the officer's hostility, says he will
talk to him and said I could fill out a complaint
against Hawkins if I wanted.  I don't think it's
necessary, myself.  Dave may feel differently, and of
course could fill out his own complaint.

Lt Gallo will also send out the memo on our leafleting
activities again, as it has been some time.

Lt Gallo also says that space a couple of feet from
the walk, where we had parked our yard signs for the
duration of the protest, are NOT private property, no
matter what our friends at Tires Plus say.
Technically, we can't put signs up there or along any
public roadway, but he says as long as we take them
with us when we go, he sees no significant difference
between holding a sign and sticking it in the ground.

I'm open to other suggestions, but for my part I'm
satisfied with Lt Gallo's response.  The lessons of
our experiences with the police, in my opinion, go
something like this:

1. Things happen when you least expect them.  Every
unfortunate incident so far has occurred when we, one
way or another, let down our guard.  We don't need to
be tense, just alert.  We have rights, but they don't
just happen.

2. Always have a video camera at a public event like
this.  Sidewalk drivers and angry cops alike need to
see themselves on TV, but more importantly we need to
document our own behavior in case we're accused of
breaking the law, resisting arrest or "defying the
laws of physics."

3. Collect license plate numbers, make or model of
cars, and badge numbers when things go wrong.  Try to
get a look at the driver of any offending vehicle, not
just the passengers who are closer to us and easier to
spot.  It's sometimes hard to focus on this, but it's
important.  And write the info down or tell someone
right away.  Memory fades fast.

4. Never assume the cops know the law or even their
own department's agreements.  Control is the major
part of their training, for good or for ill.  They are
not lawyers.  Many of them don't like to listen,
either, though some will.  We can disagree about
whether the cops are a good institution with flaws, a
necessary evil, an occupation force, or something
else, but we must be wary of them at public events.
Some suggestions, if I may:

a. Unless you are planning to get arrested for a
specific purpose -- and I do mean planning, as in
BEFORE you get pissed -- it's best to try to
de-escalate the situation and not crowd the cops or
antagonize them.  Save your temper for the bar
afterwards when you tell the story, or when you fill
out your complaint if necessary.  It's okay to ask
questions, even if they don't like it, and to explain
your rights to them -- in fact, I think you should,
and you'll feel better if you do -- but don't expect
them to listen.

b. Keep your hands open, palms showing and in sight as
a sign that you intend no violence.  Don't give them
any excuses.  Remember why we are out there.

c. Keep your voice calm.  Make sure it's calm.  Then
calm it down some more.  What you are saying is
challenging enough, and it's what gives you the moral
high ground.  Don't forget: we are out there to stand
for rational, compassionate discussion even in the
face of brute force.

c. NEVER touch a cop or anyone you are arguing with AT
ALL.  Don't even point or gesture toward them if they
are close, unless you want to provoke violence or
arrest.  Remember why we are out there.

d. It also helps to mention Lt Gallo's name :-)

OK, enuf preaching from me.  I thought I'd better
report before this Saturday's events, but I also think
we always need to draw lessons from these things.  So
there's my two cents.