[Peace-discuss] Allies on the Right

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 12 08:29:36 CST 2003

I've been saying for a while that the anti-war movement shouldn't assume
that its only allies are on the self-described left in US politics. In
fact I think both left and right are riven by the war and by the question
of where we go from here in the Middle East.  In his discussion with Amy
Goodman on Democracy Now yesterday, Ralph Nader makes a similar point.
As he says, large segments of the right are unhappy with this
administration over "the PATRIOT act, the invasion of privacy, the erosion
of civil liberties, NAFTA, GATT, huge deficit, corporate welfare
subsidies," as well as the war policies. We're wrong not to be talking to
these people.  --Carl