[Peace-discuss] Hippie Joe revisited

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 26 15:01:53 CST 2003

[Folks, this subject came up not long ago on this list
and at a meeting.  I'm posting this article as follow
up, and the comments that follow it mostly for
entertainment.  A couple of thoughts, though - this
guy has been to our demonstrations in the past, but he
is not a member of AWARE, as his comments below remind
us.  I wouldn't dare speculate on the connections
between his mental illness and political views, but
please see the very last comment below.  I think we
should remember that, reprehensible as his views are,
we have no evidence to connect him to this awful crime
as of yet, and it doesn't sound like the police have
much - from what they say, anyway. Let's just hope
they catch the real arsonist, whoever it is.  - Ricky]

FreeRepublic.com "A Conservative News Forum"

Suspect in museum fire has history of hate, arson
indy star ^ | 12/01/03 | Fred Kelly

Posted on 12/01/2003 7:50:52 PM PST by hoosierboy

December 1, 2003

The primary suspect in a fire that destroyed a
Holocaust museum in Terre Haute once was accused of
threatening President Bush and told acquaintances he
was prepared to kill Jews to protect his race,
prosecutors said Monday.

During a hearing in U.S. District Court in
Indianapolis, prosecutors described Joseph Charles
Stockett, 57, as a Nazi-sympathizer who has burned
down abortion clinics and has been investigated for
allegedly threatening then-Vice President Dan Quayle.

A Nov. 18 arson destroyed the CANDLES museum in Terre
Haute. The museum, established by a Holocaust
survivor, is dedicated to the children who survived
medical experiments performed on them while being
detained in Nazi concentration camps during World War
II.

Stockett acknowledges that he is anti-Semitic but
denies that he set the museum fire.

His unpopular views have unfairly made him a target in
the investigation, said James McKinley, his public
defender.

U.S. Magistrate Kennard Foster ruled that Stockett
must remain in jail while he awaits trial on unrelated
gun charges. No trial date was set.

Federal authorities arrested him recently after an
informant told a Terre Haute police officer he thought
he knew who torched the museum.

The informer sold Stockett a 9 mm handgun during a
recorded undercover sting. Stockett was later arrested
and charged with being a felon in possession of a
firearm.

"At a certain point, the right to free speech is not
absolute," Foster said. "If anyone does not need a
gun, it is this gentleman."

Officials from the U.S. attorney's office would not
say why they have not yet charged him with arson in
connection with the museum fire.

When asked whether he believed that Stockett set fire
to the museum, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
Agent Michael Vergon said, "Read between the lines."

Investigators allege that while he was trying to sell
the informer a used car in exchange for the gun,
Stockett said, "This struggle to save my race from the
Jews might require me to kill someone someday."

Stockett has long had trouble with the law.

In 1976, he was convicted of setting fire to a Planned
Parenthood office in Oregon. At the time, authorities
said, Stockett suffered from schizophrenia.

He also has been a suspect in a number of other
abortion clinic fires, Assistant U.S. Attorney Joe
Vaughn said.

In 1988, Stockett was charged in Washington, D.C.,
with disorderly conducted for allegedly making threats
against Quayle during a political demonstration for
the homeless.

Since 1992, Stockett has lived in 18 different towns,
where he would speak to anyone who would listen to his
rhetoric about Jews and his anti-war stance.

The U.S. Secret Service investigated Stockett last
year for alleged threats against President Bush during
a speech in Champaign, Ill.

The investigation did not result in criminal charges.

Authorities believe there is evidence to indicate
Stockett set the museum fire. A short time before the
blaze, a surveillance camera on a neighboring store
captured a light-colored car driving away from the
museum. The vehicle matched the description of
Stockett's car.

The 21-year-old informant told police that Stockett
was trying to recruit members for an anti-Jewish
group.

McKinley denied that his client belongs to any such
organization, saying, "He is not a neo-Nazi."

He noted that Stockett helped on Jesse Jackson's 1988
presidential campaign, once was married to a black
woman and was an activist for the homeless.

Having grown up mostly in California as the son of a
minister, Stockett claims he was physically abused.
While his six brothers and sisters are business
professionals and ministers, Stockett is a pauper.

He collects disability but had remained homeless until
moving into a Terre Haute apartment in October.

He previously slept in a lawn mower shed, a tent and a
van, McKinley said.

In July, Stockett moved to Terre Haute from Illinois
by riding a bike.

TOPICS: Crime/Corruption; Culture/Society; Extended
News; Front Page News; Israel; Miscellaneous;
News/Current Events; US: Indiana; Unclassified
KEYWORDS: ARSON; HOLOCAUST; NAZI

I am surprised this wasn't posted yet. What a nutcase
this guy was he is anti war hates bush, but torches
abortion clinics. I know it says he is schizophrenic,
but this guy really needds o be in the looney bin. And
did you notice they point out he worked for jesse
jackson presidential bid in 88.

1 posted on 12/01/2003 7:50:53 PM PST by hoosierboy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies ]

To: hoosierboy
Bump!

2 posted on 12/01/2003 8:00:48 PM PST by hoosierboy (I
am not a gun nut, I am a firearm enthusiast)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

To: hoosierboy
McKinley denied that his client belongs to any such
organization, saying, "He is not a neo-Nazi."
Okay, he is a Nazi then.

He noted that Stockett helped on Jesse Jackson's 1988
presidential campaign, once was married to a black
woman and was an activist for the homeless.

Why am I not surprised ...

3 posted on 12/01/2003 8:01:39 PM PST by af_vet_1981
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

To: hoosierboy
Sounds like he should run for the Dems nomination in
04. Otherwise, anti-Semitic arsonists might feel
excluded from the political process.

4 posted on 12/01/2003 8:02:07 PM PST by speedy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

To: af_vet_1981
could he be a paleo-nazi?

5 posted on 12/01/2003 8:28:11 PM PST by Hegemony
Cricket (Be nice to a terrorist today - maybe they
will kill you last!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies ]

To: hoosierboy
Many from DUN fit the MO!

6 posted on 12/01/2003 8:51:11 PM PST by Kay Soze
(Liberal Homosexuals kill more people than Global
Warming, SUVs’, Firearms & Terrorism combined.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

To: af_vet_1981
Well! Working for Jesse "Hymie Town" Jackson certainly
establishes his credentials as being sensitive to the
Jewish community.

7 posted on 12/01/2003 8:57:49 PM PST by Hodapp
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies ]

To: hoosierboy
Lets' see- A Neo-Nazi who was married to a black woman
and supported Jesse Jackson and hates Bush and Quayle
and is anti-war and anti-semitic and anti-abortion and
a homeless advocate. Guess he's got all the bases
covered

8 posted on 12/01/2003 9:31:38 PM PST by WackyKat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

To: dennisw; Cachelot; Yehuda; Nix 2; veronica;
Catspaw; knighthawk; Alouette; Optimist; weikel; ...
If you'd like to be on or off this middle
east/political ping list, please FR mail me.
I'm not surprised to see a Joseph Stockett posting on
Indymedia as burnisraeliflag. The alliance between
neonazis and jihadists is a real one.

peace militant
by Joseph Stockett Tuesday March 18, 2003 at 04:13 PM
burnisraeliflag at yahoo.com

Greetings in struggle from former Humboldt State
student Hippie Joe. Shut down your school! Close up
your shops! Fight now for freedom against George
Bush's cops! We must use this opportunity to
completely overthrow the corrupt, decadent,
warmongering Bush Dictatorship. Unite my brothers and
sisters to overwhelm the war machine, and be willing
to sacrifice yourself for the greatest cause ever: the
cause of human freedom and justice!

……………………

Re: Police At 3/20 Protests
by jc stockett Email: burnisraeliflag (at) yahoo.com
(unverified!) Current rating: -3 21 Mar 2003
Too bad you didn't get off your dead asses last
september when standing up to Bush could have made a
difference. With morons like Ricky Baldwin from Aware
telling the media that "We support our troops", and
"we want to disarm Saddam too" I think you need a
whole new leadership structure. Aware is a useless
liberal group worth nothing to the Iraqi people who
are being murdered by America. Yes, the police were
polite for the student protesters because they knew
the depth of the protester dedication is shallow and
superficial. Nice cops, pro-troop anti-war jerks like
Ricky Baldwin, and Spring break vacation are a sweet
combination. You guys never did *hit to stop the
*ucking war, not even a sit-in at the administration
building, so quit bragging. Grow up and fight Bush
like you really cared about humanity and then I'll be
impressed.

Repression Coming
by JC Stockett Tuesday April 08, 2003 at 06:57 PM

burnisraeliflag at yahoo.com 2173907494 41 East main
Champaign, Ill. 61820

Get ready for the serious repression of anti-war
activists that is certain to follow the failure of
American military strategists to consolidate their
position in Iraq.
You can believe me when I tell you that the American
gains on the ground have been more than offset by the
diplomatic defeat the U.S. is going to suffer in the
near future.
The U.S. warmongers will never be able to pacify and
control the Iraqi population, and this glaring fact
will produce complete instability for the stupid
Americans.
Furthermore, the asinine threats against Syria and
Iran will produce a heightened anti-American backlash
in those countries, and this is well and good.
It is going to be a losing proposition for Bush and
Rumsfeld, and they will blame the ant-war movement in
the U.S. for their failure.
This will result in these new detention laws being
implemented for national security excuses. It is
possible that 100,000 'national security risk defined
individuals' could be detained under the present legal
authority.
Make sure your passport is valid, and think about the
repositioning of our forces in conjunction with
anti-war elements in Europe and other receptive
nations.
Remember the lessons of history: superior
organizational structure combined with highly
developed motivational incentive can bring down the
massive advantage of strictly military power.
The U.S. has truely cut off its nose to spite its face
with respect to the positioning of these military
forces in Iraq. It will never be able to get the
'hardware' out of the region, and it is ill-equipped
to cope with the surprises soon to befall U.S.
planners. By this I mean North Korea, which will soon
take overt advantage of U.S. weakness in Asia.
This is, of course, strictly my own opinion. The U.S.
deck of cards is about to be trumped, so take heart
fellow freedom fighters. We must dig in for the long
haul, and get better organized. ORGANIZE AND MOBILIZE!
ORGANIZE AND MOBILIZE!

9 posted on 12/02/2003 7:02:22 AM PST by SJackson
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies ]

To: SJackson
bump

10 posted on 12/02/2003 8:39:58 AM PST by CJ Wolf
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies ]

To: CJ Wolf
Whatever happened to "innocent till proven guilty."
Several of ou call this man a Neo-Nazi and worse, yet
you've never met him and know nothing about him other
than a article written almost entirely from the
reports of the people attempting to prosecute him.

Sounds more like the Dept. of Homeland Security
enforcing themselves on a crazy homeless street person
to me. Maybe if there was some sort of social system
to protect and help people in situations like this
man's, there wouldn't have been a problem in the first
place. But there is no money to be made in helping the
poor...

11 posted on 12/14/2003 11:49:40 AM PST by
OurFreedomisaJoke (Ignorance will be the downfall of
America.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies ]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those
of the individual posters and do not necessarily
represent the opinion of Free Republic or its
management. All materials posted herein are protected
by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of
copyrighted works.

[ Browse | Search | Topics ]