[Peace-discuss] tonight's Urbana City Council mtg plans

Lisa Chason chason at shout.net
Mon Feb 3 10:17:42 CST 2003

Plans for this evening's Urbana City Council meeting:
Mon., Feb. 3 at 7:30 PM at the Urbana City
Building, 400 S. Vine (corner of Vine and Illinois/park acroos the street in Lincoln Square), Urbana.

It was agreed at yesterday's AWARE mtg that the most important thing tonight is to have lots of supportive people in the audience. Several veterans who are against the war will be making presentations. Others should be ready to speak; however, we want to respect the council's desire not to spend too much time on the issue.  It is suggested that people sign up to speak, but to pass if your concern has already been addressed or if few people speak in opposition to the resolution.  Two issues are especially important to address: 1)how the war is a local issue, 2) that we are not against our servicemen and women.  People should try to get to the meeting early and fill out a yellow slip, available near the entrance to the room, saying who you are and what your position is on the resolution. Fill out a slip whether or not you are requesting to speak -- it will put your position officially on record. This is to be given to the city clerk who will be sitting on the left.

Looking forward to a good turn out and becoming the 56th city for peace!
Lisa

.