[Peace-discuss] Teach-in, Interfaith Service and Capitol Hill Wednesday in Washington for > Chil

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Tue Feb 4 08:15:49 CST 2003

February 3, 2003

> To: Key Faith, Women, Political, Policy, and Community Leaders
>
> From: Marian Wright Edelman, President, Children's Defense Fund
>
> Re: New Voices - New Choices: February 11th and 12th Moral Witness,
> Teach-in, Interfaith Service and Capitol Hill Wednesday in Washington for
> Children

Sponsored by the Children's Defense Fund. For more information, contact
Erica Henri at 202-662-3559 or see www.childrensdefense.org
PLEASE SUPPORT AND GO TO:

February 11: Interfaith Service "New Voices, New Choices," Washington DC
"It's Time to Truly Leave No Child Behind."
Time and Place: 7-9 pm at Washington National Cathedral, Massachusetts and
Wisconsin Avenues, NW, Washington DC

> In these turbulent and scary times, there is no time for business as
usual.
> It is time for courageous new voices and actions for new choices as our
> nation and world teeter on the brink of moral and human catastrophe.  So I
> hope you will join me at an invitation only action gathering of key
leaders
> from 1 p.m. February 11 to 1 p.m. February 12, 2003.  This 24 hour witness
> of presence for children, for the poor, and for peace will include a
series
> of teach-ins at Washington Hebrew Congregation on impending revolutionary
> and unjust tax, budget, and policy choices followed by a moving Interfaith
> Service at the Washington National Cathedral on February 11th.  On
February
> 12th, we will conduct Wednesday in Washingtona visits with Congressional
and
> Bush Administration leaders to tell them loudly and clearly that the moral
> and budget bottom line must be protecting children first from harm whether
> we are at war or peace, amidst prosperity or economic downturn, budget
> surplus or deficit!  Specifically, we will urge Congress and the Bush
> administration to:
>
> . Make a positive commitment to the homeland security of all of our
children
> by co-sponsoring and supporting the Dodd-Miller comprehensive Act to Leave
> No Child BehindR to truly ensure every child a Healthy Start, a Head
Start,
> a Fair Start, a Safe Start and successful transition to adulthood.  It's
> time to end preventable and shameful child poverty, sickness, violence,
> abuse and neglect, and inadequate education in the richest nation on
earth.

> . Put the urgent needs of children and working poor families ahead of tax
> breaks for millionaires and billionaires by freezing the irresponsible and
> unjust $1.3 trillion tax cut, 52% of which will go to the richest 1% of
> Americans with incomes over a million dollars when fully phased in.  If
you
> believe children and the poor should not be asked to pay for profligate
tax
> breaks for powerful millionaires and corporations, then come say so.
>
> . Protect children from harm by preventing Head Start, child health, child
> care, child nutrition, child welfare, youth development, and family
supports
> from dismantlement and budget cuts.
>
> I don't know whether we will be at war with Iraq, what the terrorists will
> be doing, or how stormy or cold the political, physical and economic
weather
> will be in February. I do know that millions of hungry, homeless, poor,
and
> violence ravished children need our strong and persistent voice to stop
the
> terrors they face daily in their homes, schools, and communities.  And I
> know they won't get help unless you and I get out of our comfort zones. We
> must demand freezing existing tax giveaways to millionaires and
> billionaires, preventing new ones, and stopping huge increases in a
military
> budget already at its highest current dollar level in history.
>
> If there was ever a time to stand up, speak out, and act courageously to
> defend our children from fear and want, this is it.  The very future and
> soul of America are at stake.

Jennifer Morazes
Associate Director Peace and Justice, National Council of Churches
212-870-3422
World Council of Churches Decade to Overcome Violence
212-870-3340