[Peace-discuss] Sign Theft

Kit and Emily kitandemily at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 5 11:00:18 CST 2003

Hi all!

Kit and I also had our sign tampered with out here in
Homer. We put it up one morning before work and it had
been torn in two by the time I got home from work at
4. The person who did it merely tore it off the post
so we put the two halves in our front windows. They
are still there.

I've met with some opposition at the grade school, in
regards to our signs, from a few staff members who
have sons or daughters in the military. I also had one
high school kid, who I think destroyed the sign, come
in and talk to me about the war; he's pro-war. I think
after the dialogue he was a bit more open minded. He
at least left allowing me to have my opinion and was
less hostile.

On a positive note, I did have a few fourth graders
come into the school library talking about the
potential war. One of the boys was definitely against
it. A few of the kids were making fun of him for not
wanting to be in the military. So, the kids and I had
a long discussion about both sides of the issue. The
boy, who was anti-war, left feeling a lot better about
his decision to be against it. And, the kids who were
teasing him and who were very much in support of the
war left the library allowing him to have his beliefs.
It's good to see the movement in kids like that. They
have great ideas. And the best part is, they are so
willing to alter their opinions, or rather, let go of
their parents' opinions and form their own.

Warmly,
Emily Turner