[Peace-discuss] nbc-e

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Fri Feb 7 08:16:46 CST 2003

I have been thinking about this for hours since I read this. As many of you
now know my expertise is nuclear, biological, and chemical warfare. During
Gulf War I, I was assigned  to the 3rd U.S. Army Medical Command's Bauer's
Raiders (Please read original Gulf War I report at end of email) and headed
up special projects for DOD over many years.  Given that experience let me
review what we know about Iraq's previous NBC-E weapons.  Please remember
that we gave Iraq the NBC agents as verified in the Riegel Report (please see
separate email).

Nerve- sarin, cyclo-sarin, tabun, soman, multiple 7, Novachuks, and VX;.
Blister- mustard and its variations, Blood- cyanide;   Biological- anthrax,
botulinium, bacillus globagii, and entire range of food borne and water borne
agents.

Given these previously known agents we attempted to destroy most of them
beginning in December 1990 through 1998.  We used high explosives to attempt
this destruction. However, destruction thorough cannot be completed with sue
of explosives. Destruction can only be done with confined incineration or
preferred neutralization. Today, if Iraq still possesses any NBC-E agents the
planned use of military attacks will only spread these agents to cause
additional air, water, and soil contamination with serious adverse health and
environmental effects. If NBC-E agents are released by Iraq, other nations,
or the U.S. we have potential for serious exposures to U.S. military
personnel because as verified by the U.S. General Accounting Office and my
own assigned Army research,  almost all of the gas masks and well over 1/4
million or more MOPP suits are defective. Military personnel are also not
adequately educated and trained to operate in NBC-E environments, are not
prepared to safely destroy NBC-E agents, are unable to provide medical care
for U.S. casualties much less anyone else who is exposed.  As the
implementation of this war looms, I fear not for swift completion of an
initial assault and swift assumed victory in battle but I fear for the
consequent extended effects once the remaining Iraqi infrastructure with all
kinds of hazardous materials releases, depleted uranium munitions are used,
and civilians, understand this is defined as collateral damage, are killed,
wounded, or made ill as are over 221,000 U.S.  Gulf War I casualties are now.
WHEN YOU GO TO WAR DEATH AND DESTRUCTION ARE THE ONLY OUTCOMES. They may be
immediate of delayed.  If Iraq does still possess NBC-E agents then a
qualified UN team must find and destroy them using incineration and / or
neutralization techniques not combat attacks with high explosives.

doug rokke

Bauer's Raiders: Preparing Medical Personnel for War

Captain (Dr.) Doug Rokke
Fall 1992
330th Medical Brigade, U.S. Army Reserve

    The preparations for war take many forms.  Infantry soldiers learn and
practice their combat skills, truck drivers practice maneuvering their rigs
to make sure they can deliver supplies, and medical personnel prepare to
treat the expected combat casualties.  In many cases the selected
preparations are driven by intelligence reports.  Prior to the start of
Operation Desert Storm military intelligence reports and threats issued by
President Saddam Hussein suggested that the potential existed for use of
nuclear, biological, and chemical (NBC) chemicals.
    As we prepared for the battle in the Deserts of Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and
Iraq, Col. D.G. Tsoulos, Commander 3d U.S. Army Medical Command and other
unit commanders recognized the need to ensure that their personnel could
provide adequate emergency medical care to conserve the fighting strength in
an NBC environment.  This need required an assessment of medical
capabilities.  Four areas were identified in which additional training was
needed.

    Identification of Training Needs

    First, an assessment of emergency medical response capabilities in the
staging areas located within Saudi Arabia indicated the need to develop and
implement a plan to respond to medical emergencies resulting from combat or
disease and non-battle injuries (DNBI).  Second, an assessment of medical
personnel arriving in Southwest Asia indicated that many medical personnel
did not have the knowledge, skills, and attitudes needed to provide medical
care for the expected nuclear, biological, and chemical (NBC) warfare
casualties.  Third, the need to provide a NBC defense refresher course for
operations personnel that was designed specifically for the expected NBC
problems in the Persian Gulf was identified.  Fourth, the need to design and
construct decontamination facilities, prepare standard operating procedures,
and train personnel to provide decontamination was identified.  In order to
provide the identified training a special operations team was authorized.

    Bauer's Raiders

    Consequently, Bauer's Raiders, the 3d U.S. Army Medical Command theater
nuclear, biological, and chemical warfare special operations planning and
teaching team was formed.  Bauer's Raiders was led by COL (Dr.) Ulrich Bauer,
currently 42d Division surgeon.  The other members included COL.(Dr.)Andras
Kornegy-Both, a physician; COL. (Dr.) Thomas Little, a physician; LTC (Dr.)
Harry Ellis, a toxicologist; Major John Shanks, a registered nurse; CPT (Dr.)
Doug Rokke, a technology educator and physicist; CPT (RET) Charles Blisset,
an engineer; MSG Charles Fails, 3rd U.S. Medical Command NBC Operations
Section Chief; and SFC Rolla Dolph, a combat medic and NBC operations
sergeant.  Each team member had prior combat experience and was a qualified
medical and NBC instructor.     The first priority was to provide emergency
medical care for units as they arrived and prepared for combat in echelon
above corps areas near Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.  In response, Bauer's Raiders
developed and implemented an emergency medical response force at Eskan
Village and in the vicinity of Riyadh.  Civilian emergency medical personnel
who were now on active duty and active component counterparts were identified
and emergency medical sites were identified, supplied, and staffed to ensure
rapid delivery of emergency medical care.
    The second priority was to develop and provide the identified training.
The training covered four areas.    Bauer's Raiders developed and taught the
Operation Desert Storm combat lifesaver short course; the medical management
of chemical, and biological casualties course (a modified Aberdeen Proving
Grounds course); and the Operation Desert Storm NBC defense/ 54B refresher
course.  They developed standard operating procedures for decontamination of
and treatment of NBC casualties.  This team also designed and supervised the
construction of the NBC decontamination facilities and provided operations
assistance throughout the echelons above corps, corps, and coalition forces.

    Combat Lifesaver Course

    The Desert Storm combat lifesaver course was designed around the standard
emergency medical technician refresher course approved by the American
College of Orthopedic Surgeons and Department of Transportation.  The
objective was to provide non-medical personnel with the skills necessary to
sustain life until advanced medical care could be obtained.  U.S. Army and
U.S. Air Force personnel stationed in the vicinity of Riyadh, Damaam, King
Kahlid Military City, and along the Tap Line Road completed the course.
Mission and time constraints necessitated that the course length not exceed
one duty day.  Consequently, instruction focused on essential emergency
medical skills.  An introduction to intravenous therapy and emergency first
aid related specifically to problems in Southwest Asia were also included.
After action reports indicate that seven out of ten casualties were initially
treated by soldiers who had completed the combat lifesaver course.

Medical Management of Chemical and Biological
Combat Casualties Course

    The medical management of chemical, and biological casualties course (M2
C3) was based on the course taught at Aberdeen Proving Grounds.  The course
consisted of a theater specific threat briefing; discussion of the signs,
symptoms, and consequences of chemical and biological agents; an overview of
decontamination procedures; and an in depth discussion of emergency medical
care procedures.  Over 800 medical personnel completed the ten hour course
prior to initiation of the ground war phase of Operation Desert Storm.

    NBC Refresher Course

    The 54B / NBC defense refresher course was modeled after the course
developed by the 5035th USARF school and 4th U.S. Army Readiness Group.  The
sixteen hour course consisted of an introduction to projected Operation
Desert Storm NBC tasks; a theater specific threat briefing; anatomy and
physiology; detection; NBC reporting procedures; decontamination; sustainment
training; equipment maintenance; NBC supplies; development, distribution, and
use of standard operating procedures; questions and answers; and a summary.
Approximately 100 NBC operations personnel assigned to the 3d U.S. Army
Medical Command (MEDCOM), 3d U.S. Army Personnel Command (PERSCOM), and the
U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) completed the refresher course.

    Decontamination

    The need to ensure adequate decontamination resulted in the development
of a standard operations procedure (enclosed) consisting of an introduction
and sections on (a) medical support in chemical operations, (b) planning for
the management and treatment of contaminated casualties, (c) site selection,
(d) identification of decontamination supplies (medical and non-medical), (e)
specific decontamination procedures, and (f) fabrication of the
decontamination stretcher.  The objective of this SOP was to provide medical
personnel with the guidance needed to complete gross decontamination and
provide emergency medical stabilization of NBC casualties.  Over 1200 medical
personnel were trained and certified to staff NBC decontamination stations
prior to the initiation of the ground phase of Operation Desert Storm.

    Impacts

    The training programs developed and taught by Bauer's Raiders contributed
to the success of Operation Desert Storm.  While many military training
programs are not discussed over the civilian and military radio system, the
NBC training programs were discussed and many individuals decided to attend
the courses as a result of the press releases that were distributed and
interviews that were conducted and broadcast by the Armed Forces Radio
Network.  Some command personnel think that one factor that influenced Iraq
not to utilize chemical and biological weapons was the readiness of U. S.
military personnel to operate in and provide the necessary medical care in an
NBC environment.
    Since the end of the Persian Gulf War, Bauer's Raiders and trained
medical personnel have trained additional military personnel and many
civilian medical, fire, and police personnel.  Feedback from U.S. Army, U.S.
Air Force, and civilian emergency response personnel obtained during training
conferences indicate that the knowledge and skills that were acquired have
been beneficial in improving civilian and military emergency response during
hazardous materials incidents.

    Conclusion

    The most important lesson to be learned is that specific training needed
to sustain the fighting force must be developed and implemented to meet
combat and non-combat needs during any military operation and that this
knowledge is useful in military and civilian incidents.