[Peace-discuss] Better copy, I hope.

Morton K. Brussel brussel at uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 7 14:06:31 CST 2003

Hello all,

I apologize for resending this. what you received earlier was probably
not well transmitted.
This gives a response to the Bush régime  beyond our borders. It comes
from ZNet.

ZNet | Terror War

To Say No

by Eduardo  Galeano;  February 06, 2003

[Translated by Francisco González]

The President of our planet announces his next killing campaign in the
name of God and Democracy . Thus he defames God, and he also defames
Democracy, which has barely managed to survive despite the
dictatorships that the United States have been establishing all over
the world for over a century.

Bush’s Government--which resembles an oil pipeline more than a
government--needs to seize the world’s second largest oil reserves that
happen to lie under the soil of Iraq . It also needs to justify its
huge military spending and display the latest models of its arms
industry on the battlefield.

And that’s what this is all about. Everything else is an excuse. And
the excuses for this coming slaughter insult our intelligence. The only
country that has used nuclear weapons against civilians--the country
that dropped atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki --is trying to
convince us that Iraq is a danger to humanity. If President Bush loves
humanity so, and if he truly wants to avert the most dangerous threat
that humanity is now facing, why doesn’t he bomb himself, instead of
planning a new extermination campaign on innocent people?

Huge demonstrations will fill the streets of the world February 15.
Humanity has had enough of being used as an excuse by its own killers;
and it is also fed up with mourning its dead at the end of every war:
this time, humanity wants to stop the war that is about to kill its own
people.

Mort Brussel