[Peace-discuss] Tires Plus: Expect meanness, respond with kindness or disengagement

Joan Nelshoppen jnlshppn at prairienet.org
Mon Feb 17 22:05:16 CST 2003

I'm not sure that anyone was targeted.  My minivan looks a lot like the one
they were trying to tow and they initially thought that the woman with two
small kids (me) was the one parked there.

I agree with what everyone is saying about responding with kindness.  I
believe it is really important that protestors for peace act in a
nonviolent manner.

Please do not publicly target the tire place for a boycott.  That will not
win anyone over.

Also - would it be useful to reexamine some of the new signs?  Although
things like "Bomb Texas" may make a few protestors laugh I think signs like
that do more harm then good and are not perceived well by people you might
be trying to get to join you.  I didn't get a chance to look at all the
signs as I was driving over to protest on Saturday (I was just totally
amazed and proud at the number of people) so I don't know if it was still
out there.  But if I had seen that one I would have been offended.  (I
should mention I am someone who totally opposes this war.) Incidentally,
that sign made the News Gazette and not in a flattering light.

Joan