[Peace-discuss] English ArchBishops statement

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Wed Feb 19 23:34:30 CST 2003

Archbishops' Iraq war statement: Full text
The Archbishop of Canterbury Dr Rowan Williams and Archbishop of Westminster
Cardinal Cormac Murphy O'Connor have, after a private meeting, issued the
following statement about the Iraq crisis:
War is always a deeply disturbing prospect; one that can never be
contemplated without a sense of failure and regret that other means have not
prevailed, and deep disquiet about all that may come in its train.

We are very conscious of the huge burden of responsibility carried by those
who must make the ultimate decision in these matters.

They are daily in our thoughts and prayers, as are all those who would find
themselves caught up directly or indirectly in a war.

The moral alternative to military action cannot be inaction, passivity,
appeasement or indifference

The events of recent days show that doubts still persist about the moral
legitimacy as well as the unpredictable humanitarian consequences of a war
with Iraq.

We recognise that the moral alternative to military action cannot be
inaction, passivity, appeasement or indifference.

It is vital therefore that all sides in this crisis engage through the United
Nations fully and urgently in a process, including continued weapons
inspections, that could and should render the trauma and tragedy of war
unnecessary.

We strongly urge the government of Iraq to demonstrate forthwith its
unequivocal compliance with UN resolutions on weapons of mass destruction.

The season of Lent is now approaching, a time when all Christian traditions
encourage us to examine ourselves honestly, to acknowledge our shortcomings
and to seek reconciliation with God.

We must hope and pray that, with God's guidance, an outcome that brings peace
with justice to Iraq and the Middle East may yet be found.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk/2782509.stm

Published: 2003/02/20 04:41:37