[Peace-discuss] Clash of civilizations <prorev.com>

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 21 18:46:10 CST 2003

"[They] hate our order, our civilization, our enterprising industry, our
pure religion. This wild, reckless, indolent, uncertain and superstitious
race have no sympathy for [our] character ... Their history describes an
unbroken circle of bigotry and blood."

"A population befouled with all the social vices, with no knowledge or
appreciation of free institutions or constitutional liberty, with
heathenish souls and heathenish propensities, whose character, and habits,
and modes of thought are firmly fixed by the consolidating influence of
ages upon ages."

[The words above are not those of George Bush or Donald Rumsfeld but,
respectively, those of British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli concerning
the Irish and of the New York Times soberly evaluating the Chinese in the
late 1860s.]