[Peace-discuss] Stop the New Patriot Act!

Kranich, Kimberlie Kranich at WILL.uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 27 12:21:56 CST 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: action at dcaclu.org [mailto:action at dcaclu.org]
Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2003 6:06 AM
To: aclu_list at capwiz.mailmanager.net
Subject: Stop the New Patriot Act!

From: Matt Howes, National Internet Organizer, ACLU
To: ACLU Action Network Members
Date: February 27, 2003

Stop the New Patriot Act!

Under the guise of terrorism, Attorney General Ashcroft has been secretly
preparing new legislation that would significantly reduce privacy
protections and essentially eliminate some of the most fundamental checks
and balances on governmental power.

The draft "Domestic Security Enhancement Act" contains a multitude of law
enforcement and intelligence gathering powers -- many of which are not
related to terrorism -- that would severely undermine basic constitutional
rights.  For example, the proposed legislation would allow the sampling and
cataloguing of innocent Americans' DNA without court order and without
consent.

Take Action now!  We can stop this legislation and tell our elected
officials that they must exercise appropriate oversight over the Justice
Department and FBI to prevent abuse of power. Click here to get more
information and to send a free fax:

http://www.aclu.org/SafeandFree/SafeandFree.cfm?ID=11904&c=206