[Peace-discuss] New P4P sign suggestions

Margaret E. Kosal nerdgirl at scs.uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 27 16:43:35 CST 2003

At 15:46 2/27/2003 -0600, C. G. Estabrook wrote:

>The letter that you quote (addressing "you antiwar protesters and
>politicians"), like the piece from José Ramos-Horta in the NYT on Tuesday,
>may be this year's incubator-baby story -- a bit more sophisticated, and
>perhaps an indication (if they were in fact solicited by supporters of the
>Bush Administration)

No, Carl, I respectfully disagree, particularly as far as the CSM piece
posted by Kimberlie.  Dismissing the dissonance as "this year's
incubator-baby story" is insulting to those who have been actively calling
for (peaceful) interaction on behalf of the Iraqi people - from Pilger to
Voices in the Wilderness to Amnesty International.

Where were the crowds demonstrating when Clinton was permitting US military
bombing Iraq?  These are not the easy issues w/which to grapple.  If they
were easy, they would be boring (like Dubya).  Dismissing them is not going
to make them go away.

The main differences I observe are (1) intimate connections of this
administration with oil & (2) horrifying indications w/in this
administration that a rationalization to use a nuclear bomb is actively
being sought.

>  of just how worried the Administration is by the
>peace demonstrations (as one would expect them to be).

I dearly hope this is true!  It doesn not have to be an
either/or.  Absolute binary distributions are very hard to come by.

>No one paid much attention when, say, Soviet dissidents criticized the US
>for Vietnam or our domestic racism -- it was when they turned their
>attention to their own government that something important was said.
>Criticism of the official enemy is easy, and the pro-Saddam element in the
>peace demonstrations is tiny to the point of vanishing.  Why should we
>repeat positions that the Administration is using for propaganda?

Who is advocating this?  Who is stealing from whom?
Blair & Bush are co-opting the humanitarian/human rights arguments because
they are valid and useful.
That does not lessen the validity of the humanitarian arguments.

 From today's Guardian, http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/0,6957,178327,00.html
Under the title of "If not war, then what?"  (Also printed is a response
from Chomsky and UN resolution 242 is mentioned).

Haifa Zagana:
Of course there are alternatives to war, if we are serious about finding them.

We need, for instance, to enforce the weapons inspectors, and empower them
to examine other things such as prisons and human rights.

I don't believe that the military threat has been a factor in access for
the inspectors. But the single most important thing is to lift the
sanctions. If we want to empower the people of Iraq, to help them regain
their dignity, that is the only answer.

How can you possibly think about overthrowing the regime or implementing
democracy when your first thought is how you will feed your children tomorrow?

We have had 12 years of intellectual stagnation under sanctions, students
unable to get papers, journals, and that has only strengthened the arm of
the regime against the people.

It makes me angry when they say the Iraqi people are weak, incapable, and
we are going in to liberate them. I strongly believe that if sanctions were
lifted, the Iraqi people would be sufficiently empowered to get rid of
Saddam on their own.

If the west hadn't supplied Saddam's regime with weapons, and then imposed
these crippling sanctions, we would have done it long ago.

· Iraqi novelist, based in London.

Tariq Ali:
The speed with which a political agenda decided in Washington for its own
purposes (in this case the overthrow of a regime and the occupation of an
oil-rich country which sells oil in euros and not dollars) is then imposed
on Britain may be nothing new, but is still disturbing. The US determines
its needs, the Murdoch media empire approves, and liberal journalists are
put on the defensive.

What are "we" to do about Saddam? Who the hell are "we"? And why should
"we" be in favour of the selective vigilantism determined by US interests
in the region? The Iraqis need democracy, and neither Saddam nor the US
will ever give them that.

Democracy in an oil-rich country is a dangerous option for the west (note
recent attempts to topple Hugo Chavez in Venezuela). If they elect a
government that challenges the west (as happened in Iran), then what?
Another regime change.

Saddam was at his worst when he was a staunch ally of the US, unleashed
first against local communists, Kurds and trade unionists, and subsequently
against Iran, with the open backing of Reagan's then envoy, Donald
Rumsfeld, and Britain's Margaret Thatcher.

Today, he is a weakened and enfeebled dictator. Had his people not been so
devastated by western sanctions, they might well have toppled him by now.
That is why Blair's late decision to invoke humanity has a false ring.

The notion that Iraq threatens the US, or its favourite Israel, is truth
only for hardcore believers. They want Iraq, partially for the oil and
partially to re-map the region. Ariel Sharon is already demanding an
assault on Iran after the "liberation" of Baghdad.

Namaste,
Margaret