[Peace-discuss] Fw: Ramos-Horta: War for Peace?

Margaret E. Kosal nerdgirl at scs.uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 28 09:45:10 CST 2003

Carl -

Spectacular.  Thanks for ferreting this out.  This is a great example of
disentangling rhetoric by those who have first-hand experience,
specifically as a re-active response to Ramos-Horta's NY Times op-ed.

At 00:22 2/28/2003 -0600, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
<snip>
>from the East Timor Action Network

>   Statement presented to the United States, United Kingdom and
>    Australian embassies in Dili, East Timor, 15 February 2003

<snip>

>   There is no moral principle in their current desire to overthrow
>    Saddam Hussein, which will create massive casualties among Iraqi
>    civilians and others, when they felt no compulsion to overthrow
>    Suharto, who was at least as bloody and brutal as Hussein.

East Timor did it - so how do we "cappuccino-cafe-anti-war-activists"
(co-opt the words used against one til they lose power!) do something to
*pro-actively* support the same result in Iraq?  (Pragmatically, consensus
recognizes that the most important issue is preventing US-initiated war
*at* Iraq.)

So, we all can give up our day jobs to join Voices in the Wilderness or
Médecins Sans Frontières or the Human Shields ... well ... ummm ... I'm too
chicken to do that.

Namaste,
Margaret