[Peace-discuss] our legacy

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Wed Jan 1 08:39:38 CST 2003

"What shall be our legacy?"
Printed on Wednesday, January 01, 2003 @ 00:02:31 EST
http://yt.org/article.php?sid=966

By Doreen Miller
YellowTimes.org Columnist (United States)

(YellowTimes.org) – It seems like only yesterday when the world was
caught up in mass hysteria and dire predictions of doom and gloom
about the impending Y2K crisis that would plunge the world into utter
chaos and darkness. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief when, at the
stroke of midnight on January 1, 2000, planes did not plunge from the
skies, computer systems continued to function, and the lights remained
on. In short, life went on as usual. Little did people realize,
however, that the year 2000 was to herald in a unprecedented age of
terror and darkness.

The road to hell began barely nine months into George Bush's
presidency, when the American public suffered a major terrorist attack
made possible allegedly by a simple failure of U.S. law enforcement
and intelligence agencies to connect the dots. The dust had barely
settled when select congressmen were graced with letters laced with
weapon-grade anthrax whose origins mysteriously point to a U.S.
source. Next, U.S. citizens had their Constitutionally guaranteed
civil rights sharply curtailed by the passage of the USA PATRIOT Act.
Their right to privacy was even further eroded by the just recently
passed Homeland Security Act which sets up a Total Information
Awareness operation that would make George Orwell blush.

Color-coded warnings signifying levels of terrorist threat are
announced in the media on a regular basis -- always jacked up a notch
or two in time for the holidays to further intimidate an already
fearful and paranoid public. The economy is being rocked by one
corporate scandal after another; the numbers of those without jobs,
health insurance or a place to call home continue to climb; and the
few remaining safeguards protecting the environment are quickly being
dismantled. Terrorism and other acts of violence are escalating around
the globe. The world's most powerful leader, drunk with a belief in
his own invincibility, belligerently threatens pre-emptive war and
nuclear retaliation on any country suspected of trying to undermine
U.S. interests and superiority. Indeed, the world has been plunged
into an age of darkness far surpassing its worst Y2K nightmares.

Most Americans see themselves as innocent victims in a world gone mad
and believe, quite naively, that their government holds the moral high
ground in its efforts to establish a Pax Americana worldwide. The
facts, however, reveal the United States to be not only a part of the
cycle of violence, but the largest exporter of death and destruction
this world has ever known.

Richard Grimmet of the Congressional Research Committee reported that
in fiscal year 2001, of the $26.4 billion in registered sales of
international military weapons, the United States exported $12.2
billion, or roughly 46 percent of the total. This represents 2.5 times
more than the amount sold by the second (UK) and third (Russia)
largest exporters, 9.7 times greater than the level exported by
France, and 19 times more than that of China.

The Center for International Policy estimates that about 80 percent of
U.S. arms exports go to non-democratic regimes notorious for gross
human rights abuses against not only their own citizenry but people of
other countries as well. In 1999, of the forty-two conflicts in the
world, thirty-nine of them made use of U.S. military equipment or
technology, a whopping 92 percent rate of indirect U.S. participation
in, but direct support of, war and violence. The U.S. also trains
foreign military in the art of murder and torture in more than 70
countries and has troops currently stationed in nearly three out of
every four countries in the world.

Sadly, the lives of 3,000 civilians from the U. S. and many other
countries were lost in the September 11 attack, but where is the
American outrage at the millions of deaths that the U.S. has caused,
directly or covertly, in the twentieth century alone? Over 3,000
innocent Afghanis were killed in blind retaliation for terrorist
attacks with which these oppressed people had nothing to do. Add
hundreds of thousands of preventable deaths of mostly elderly, infants
and young children in Iraq due to over ten years of extreme economic
sanctions, demanded by the U.S., that prevent Iraq from importing
essential medicines and disinfecting agents because of their potential
for dual usage. Don't forget the 500,000 deaths in wars supported by
the U.S. in Guatemala, El Salvador, Chile, Argentina, Haiti, Panama,
and other Latin American countries over the past half century, or the
hundreds of thousands more in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos.

The United States is just as guilty as any other nation in targeting
civilian population centers -- cities such as Dresden, Hamburg, and
Tokyo were mercilessly firebombed during World War II; atomic bombs
were dropped in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, all resulting in hundreds of
thousands of civilian deaths.

Recently in Iraq, Yugoslavia, and Afghanistan the United States has
resurrected and implemented a new kind of nuclear warfare through the
use of weapons outfitted with a depleted uranium component. Upon
impact, the uranium is released in micro-sized particles that travel
great distances on the wind to contaminate air, food, soil, water, in
short, anything it touches. Post Gulf war soil samples tested in
Basrah register an 84 times greater than normal background radiation
level from uranium elements, according to studies carried out by
various international organizations.

This new American-made legacy will be remembered for its long-term,
continuous assault on innocent people and their environment. Studies
conducted by John Hopkins University reveal a sevenfold increase in
cancer, leukemia and birth defects in Iraq since the Gulf War. Full-
term babies there are born with grotesque malformations such as having
no face; no eyes or nose; twisted, fused or missing limbs; huge heads
with no brains; no digestive tract; heart defects; severe ulcerations
of the skin, and other abnormalities.

All this is made possible by each and every American who chooses to
remain silent in the face of U.S. military atrocities against
humanity. The United States is squandering both its status of most
powerful nation and its potential to do some lasting good by
continuing to serve the gods of greed, fear, hatred, war and violence.
America should be leading the world by practicing what it preaches to
other nations. The truly powerful lead by example, not by intimidation
and brute force.

Placing self-righteous justification and moral superiority aside, for
all involved parties seem to claim them, we need to look at war for
what it really is -- murder and maiming, pure and simple. Our
unquestioned faith in the use of military threats, death and
destruction to deter violence and settle disagreements is an
inherently flawed philosophy that has brought the world to the brink
of mutually assured destruction with the United States leading the
way.

The late Philip Berrigan had it right when he spoke about "the
universal American fantasy that 'national security' can depend on
weapons of mass destruction." These weapons we insist on amassing are
instead the very cause of our mortal danger. His final words resonate
as a warning to us all, "nuclear weapons are the scourge of the earth;
to mine for them, manufacture them, deploy them, use them, is a curse
against God, the human family, and the earth itself."

In this unparalleled period of danger and darkness brought about by
the ignorance of mad men in their lust for power, it's time for people
to awaken and do their part to transform this insane, money-making,
war- mongering mentality. Imagine what a different world this could be
if everyone took personal responsibility and vowed no longer to be a
part of the ongoing cycle of government sponsored terrorism. Imagine
if the people who build (in part or whole) bombs, guns, assault
weapons and other weapons of mass destruction were suddenly to have an
attack of conscience and leave their jobs, refusing to manufacture the
evil that gets exported around the globe. Imagine how different the
world could be if the $839 billion dollars spent yearly on military
expenditures worldwide (Arias Foundation figures for FY 2001) were
instead used for constructive purposes to alleviate hunger and provide
decent housing, education, health care and meaningful employment for
all.

I am convinced that reprioritizing the use of our vast resources from
our current destructive bent towards constructive, life-affirming,
humanitarian ends would be a much more successful deterrent to
terrorism than our ineffective and inane faith in using "the violence
to quell all violence." As the great Martin Luther King, Jr.
believed, "An eye for an eye only ends up making us all blind."

Life is a series of making choices. We can choose to take the easy
path by closing our eyes and remaining part of the evil of war and
violence, whether it be through our line of employment that may
directly or indirectly contribute to government sanctioned destruction
and murder, or through the complicity of simply keeping silent in the
face of inhumane policies carried out by our government. Else, we can
choose the more difficult and courageous route of speaking out and
working towards eliminating war and weapons of mass destruction all
over the world, beginning in our own country. If we do not walk the
talk of peace and disarmament, then we are, in fact, no better than
the terrorists we are purporting to defeat.

The state and fate of our world and the legacy we leave for future
generations all come down to the individual choices we make in our
lives. As the adage from the Vietnam era significantly states, "Just
imagine if they gave a war, and nobody came."

[Doreen Miller lived, studied, worked and traveled abroad for several
years, and is currently a Senior Lecturer and educator of
international students. She dedicates part of her time to serving the
elderly and Alzheimer patients. Mother, musician and poet, she pursues
an avid interest in Buddhist and Eastern philosophy. She advocates
human rights, social justice, fair trade, and environmental
protection. Doreen lives in the United States.]

Doreen Miller encourages your comments: dmiller at YellowTimes.org