[Peace-discuss] No justification for war verified

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Thu Jan 9 09:52:35 CST 2003

Blix Says No Smoking Guns Found in Iraq
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 10:29 a.m. ET

UNITED NATIONS (AP) -- U.N. weapons inspectors have not found any smoking
guns in Iraq during their search for weapons of mass destruction, the chief
U.N. weapons inspector said Thursday.

``We have now been there for some two months and been covering the country in
ever wider sweeps and we haven't found any smoking guns,'' Hans Blix told
reporters at the United Nations.

Blix and his counterpart Mohamed ElBaradei, who heads the International
Atomic Energy Agency, were to brief the Security Council Thursday on their
assessments of Iraq's 12,000-page weapons declaration. They will also likely
provide an update on the inspections process.

Asked whether inspectors were getting significant intelligence from the
United States, Blix said: ``Well, we are getting intelligence from several
sources and I will not go into the operative part of that, but it's clear
that this will be helpful in the future to us.''

``We have gone to, I think, about 125 sites already, and some of them were
not visited before, and there will be more. And as more intelligence comes
in, there will be more sites visited. I'm confident that we will get more
intelligence.''

Secretary of State Colin Powell told The Washington Post for Thursday's
editions that in the past few days, the United States has begun giving
inspectors ``significant intelligence'' that has enabled them to become
``more aggressive and to be more comprehensive in the work they're doing.''

But Washington is holding back some information to see if inspectors ``are
able to handle it and exploit it. ... It is not a matter of opening up every
door we have,'' Powell said.

French Foreign Minister Dominique de Villepin said his government wants the
council to adopt a resolution that requests all countries to provide
information on Iraq's ``prohibited programs'' and recommend sites to be
visited and Iraqis to be interviewed.

The United States has promised to share information with inspectors, as long
as U.S. intelligence sources aren't compromised. ``We have and will continue
to provide information to the inspectors,'' a U.S. official said Wednesday,
speaking on condition of anonymity.

Blix has said his inspectors need intelligence from other nations because
Iraq's weapons declaration leaves so many unanswered questions that it's
impossible to verify its claim of having no weapons of mass destruction.

On Thursday, Blix reiterated that Iraq's weapons declaration was incomplete.

``We think that the declaration failed to answer a great many questions.''

ElBaradei said Monday that after two months of inspections it was still too
early to determine whether Saddam Hussein's regime was trying to develop
nuclear weapons.

``We are not certain of Iraq's (nuclear) capability,'' he said.

Blix has called on Iraq to answer outstanding questions in the declaration on
Iraq's chemical, biological and missile programs, which is required under
Resolution 1441, adopted Nov. 8.

``Iraq may have more to say. I hope so,'' Blix said.

A senior Iraqi official denied on Thursday that the arms declaration was
incomplete, as inspectors have repeatedly said.

``People who claim there were gaps, I could tell you right away they have not
read it,'' Amir al-Saadi, Saddam's science adviser, said.

The purpose of Thursday's Security Council meeting was to give council
members an assessment of Iraq's arms declaration and update them about ``our
increasing capability in country, including the use of helicopters, the
opening of a temporary regional monitoring center in Mosul and other steps to
make us more effective,'' Blix's spokesman, Ewen Buchanan, said.

Blix is to give the council a formal report on the inspections on Jan. 27.

After his last briefing to the council on Dec. 19, Blix urged the United
States and Britain to hand over any evidence they have about Iraq's secret
weapons programs so U.N. inspectors can check it.

Britain opened a channel weeks ago to provide the inspectors with information
and ``they are getting all that we can usefully give,'' a British official
said Wednesday, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Blix said the United States and Britain have given briefings to inspectors on
what they think the Iraqis have, but what inspectors really want to know is
where weapons-related material is stored.