[Peace-discuss] Chicago City Council votes against war

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 16 16:56:08 CST 2003

	Chicago City Council votes against war
	Resolution calls Saddam a 'tyrant'

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) --The City Council voted 46-1 Thursday against a
unilateral military attack on Iraq unless it is shown to be a real threat
to the United States.

The resolution said military action against Iraq would cost billions of
dollars, and during the debate, council members discussed how federal
budget cuts could affect programs that benefit Chicago residents.

"We don't want our boys and our girls to go to war," Alderman Dorothy
Tillman said.

Anti-war statements have been passed in others cities, including San
Francisco, Seattle, Ithaca, New York, and Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Chicago's resolution calls Saddam Hussein "a tyrant who should be removed
from power" for the good of the people of Iraq and neighboring countries.

But, the resolution continues, "It not at all clear that a unilateral U.S.
military action would result in the installation of a free and democratic
Iraqi government."

The resolution, however, gives unconditional support to U.S. military
personnel.

"Everybody's against war," Mayor Richard Daley said after the resolution
passed. "No one is for war."

Also Thursday, 17 anti-war protesters were arrested in Los Angeles for
blocking a sidewalk outside a downtown federal building. About 75 others
applauded and shouted, "No blood for oil!" as the 17 were handcuffed and
taken away in buses to be cited for misdemeanors.

The demonstration was organized by the American Friends Service Committee.

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material
may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/01/16/antiwar.vote.ap

  C. G. Estabrook, Ph.D., Visiting Scholar
  University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign [MC-190]
  109 Observatory, 901 South Mathews Avenue, Urbana IL 61801 USA
  office: 217.244.4105 mobile: 217.369.5471 home: 217.359.9466
  <www.carlforcongress.org>