[Peace-discuss] OSU resolution

Al Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 16 19:23:26 CST 2003

I just got new that the following resolution was passed by the
University Senate at Oregon State University.

Proposed Resolution
Against US War on Iraq
for the
OSU Faculty Senate
January 9, 2003 meeting

As put forward by the OSU Faculty for Peace and Justice

Brought to the floor as new business by OSU Senator John Selker
representing the College of Agriculture

Preamble:

1)  For there to be a just and peaceful world, it is essential that
certain fundamental principles be upheld.

2)  Paramount among those principles is that societies and the
governments acting on their behalf should act to the fullest extent
possible to honor and preserve the sanctity of life.

3)  Also fundamental is the principle that war, and its consequent
threat to the lives of innocent human beings and profound damage to
ecosystems, should always be a last resort, employed only as
absolutely necessary.

4)  Also fundamental is that governments should uphold the rule of
law, and should act consistently with international law, and with
agreements and accords between and among nations developed to
maintain order, peace and justice.

5)  Further it is a historical role of institutions of higher
education to serve as places of free and open intellectual
exploration, to provide a venue for discussion and communication of
topics of public debate.

6)  These principles are of utmost relevance to Oregon State
University given its dedication to: the centrality of intellectual
basis in deciding the course of human affairs; the stimulation of
inquiry; openness; social responsibility; and its responsibility to
contribute to the well-being of society.

7)  These principles are therefore also of utmost relevance to our
Faculty Senate and our responsibility to share governance of this
institution.

8)  When a majority of our body agrees that actions of our government
pose serious and grave threats to the preceding fundamental
principles and to the well-being of society,

9)  And when the silence of individuals and institutions will be
construed as approval of these government actions,

10)  And when our collective voice may contribute to respect for and
adherence to the preceding fundamental principles,

11)  Then it becomes our responsibility to contribute to the public
dialogue by actively speaking our views.

 From this basis, we conclude that

12) Whereas The United States (US) government has made clear
preparation to take military action against Iraq;

13) Whereas Iraq has not been known through disclosed documents to
have committed aggression against the US or other countries which
might justifies a response of war;

14) Whereas The US government has presented no credible evidence that
Iraq has intentions of harming the citizens of this country or that
Iraq presents a threat to the US;

15) Whereas The United Nations (UN) Security Council, in unanimously
adopting resolution 1441 enforcing the return of weapons inspectors
to Iraq, asserts in Article 14 that the Security Council alone has
the authority to determine what, if any, action to take regarding
current or future Iraqi violations of their resolutions;

16) Whereas The UN Charter declares unequivocally in Articles 41 and
42 that the UN Security Council alone has the power to authorize the
use of military force against any nation in noncompliance of its
resolutions;

17) Whereas A pre-emptive war waged by our government without UN
authorization would be contrary to the above mentioned fundamental
principles;

18) Whereas The vast majority of the international community has not
lent its support for war against Iraq;

19) Whereas Diplomatic solutions have not appear to have been
exhausted, and therefore the fundamental intellectual responsibility
of the US leadership to provide justification of war showing proof
that all other means have failed has not been satisfied;

20) Whereas Through such a war OSU faculty, staff and students will
have their careers, work and educations interrupted and lives put in
jeopardy,

21) Whereas The lives of many innocent Iraqi civilians, who have
already suffered enormously under Saddam Hussein's rule and UN
sanctions; will be injured and killed;

22) Whereas The high cost of this war's cost may further deepen the
US economic crisis which continues to damage OSU;

23) Whereas A war with Iraq would threaten to further destabilize the
Middle East, possibly leading to wider regional war and increased
support for groups dedicated to terrorism, endangering the citizens
of the US as well as the OSU community as they perform their work
both within and outside the US;

24) Be it Resolved That the OSU faculty senate opposes the US
engagement in war in Iraq at this time.

--

Al Kagan
Africana Unit, Room 328