[Peace-discuss] Fwd: web page in honor of King holiday

Jim Buell jbuell at prairienet.org
Fri Jan 17 18:49:48 CST 2003

At 06:14 PM 1/17/2003 -0600, Al Kagan wrote:
>FYI.  Can we suggest some websites to add on MLK's anti-war activities?
>

>>Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. resource page,
>>
>>see http://www.library.uiuc.edu/doc/newpages/mlk.htm

You mean you're not content to see the Defense Department and Navy define
King's legacy, Al? Here are a couple alternatives gleaned from a Google search.

1. King's "Casualties of the war in Vietnam" speech, February 1967 -
http://www.yonip.com/peace/casualties.htm

2. a brief page excerpting from several of King's anti-war speeches -
http://www.tacoma.ctc.edu/home/sdonalds/mlkwarpeace.html . I'm recopying
that page in its entirety here. Words to ponder.

peace,
jb

>Martin Luther King, Jr. on Peace and War
>
>The observation of Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday as a national holiday
>has not been accompanied by a broad understanding of King's thought. Each
>year, we are reminded that Dr. King "had a dream" for racial equality, but
>rarely do we hear his opinions about the Vietnam War or economic
>disparities in the wealthiest nation in human history.
>
>On April 4, 1967, exactly a year before his assassination, King gave a
>speech "A Time to Break Silence: Declaration of Independence from the War
>in Vietnam" at Riverside Church in New York City. This speech was attacked
>by media institutions such as Time and the Washington Post for his
>critique of the war, including the observation that "the greatest purveyor
>of violence in the world today [is] my own government."
>
>"I am convinced that if we are to get on the right side of the world
>revolution, we as a nation must undergo a radical revolution of values. We
>must rapidly begin the shift from a 'thing-oriented' society to a
>'person-oriented' society. When machines and computers, profit motives and
>property rights are considered more important than people, the giant
>triplets of racism, materialism and militarism are incapable of being
>conquered
. A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on