[Peace-discuss] Guest Editorial

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Tue Jan 21 08:13:07 CST 2003

The Bloomington Pentagraph published this guest editorial, with photographs,
in the Jan 19 edition.

GULF WAR II: Defective Gas Masks, Duct Tape, Disabilities, and Death
Dr. Doug Rokke, Ph.D.; Major, Medical Service Corps, U.S. Army Reserve

"GAS, GAS, GAS", those three words elicit immediate fear and action. If these
words or any other alarm from a "siren" to "banging on metal" are heard
military personnel must stop breathing while putting on their gas mask and
securing it within 9 seconds. Then they must put on their chemical protective
clothing "MOPP suit" within 5 to 7 minutes.

The purpose of this equipment is to prevent breathing in and prevent skin
contact with chemical, biological, or radiological poisons that may be used
during Gulf War II or future battles by either Iraqi, the United States, or
other nations.  You must use both pieces of equipment to survive and they
must not be defective!

The essential life-saving assumption is that the gas mask and MOPP suit will
work when you wear it. However, the Army's  M40 series and the Navy's gas
mask both leak when you move your jaw or head and when you sweat. Most of the
masks also have numerous tears and holes in them. United States General
Accounting Office investigators, U.S. Army reports, congressional testimony,
and soldiers complaints have verified that the gas masks are defective and
leak. These same reports have verified that over a quarter million MOPP suits
that are defective have been issued to our troops, but they can¹t be located.

U.S. Representative Jan Schakowsky (D-IL.) sent a letter to Secretary of
Defense Rumsfeld dated November 27, 2002 asking him (quote) "to certify that
military personnel who may be deployed in Iraq are adequately equipped
against biological and chemical attacks". As of Jan 17, 2003, Representative
Schakowsky's staff said that Secretary Rumsfeld has not provided that
certification. Today, Pentagon officials have deployed and are deploying our
nation's and Illinois' finest sons and daughters for war with defective gas
masks and MOPP suits.

As reported in the Pentagraph Editorial "Bad time to have doubts on Army
protective gear" (1/1/03) U.S. Army spokesman "Capt. Benjamin Kuykendall said
the shortcomings are being addressed and many are minor ones that could be
fixed in the field with DUCT tape".  As an Army officer and expert in
nuclear, biological, and chemical warfare I must emphasize that: DEFECTIVE
GAS MASKS AND MOPP SUITS CANNOT BE FIXED WITH DUCT TAPE!  DUCT tape is not
impervious to the chemical, biological, and radiological agents and DUCT tape
will come off the mask once it gets wet.

The current gas masks leak because the mask does not have enough silicon
rubber under the chin to keep the mask from coming off the head during
movement. Another deliberately ignored problem is that the gas mask filters
will not remove the very small (less than .3 micron) and very dangerous
particles that are released during chemical, biological, and radiological
incidents, especially use of depleted uranium.  This is a hazard if Iraqis
use such agents, if the US again explodes any stockpiles they find in place,
and from exposures to radioactive components of our own weapons.

In rebuttal to Capt. Kuykendall's solution for repairing defects with "DUCT
tape", masks with tears and holes must be replaced -- not fixed with DUCT
tape.  I must ask, and hope my neighbors care enough to ask; why didn't the
military unit commanders report these defects and obtain equipment that is
not defective? These defects have been known for years and have been
willfully ignored.  Now widespread dereliction of duty threatens the lives of
seasoned soldiers and young recruits alike, as we prepare to go to war.

Defective gas masks are not limited to the military. Our community police,
fire, and medical personnel have also been issued defective gas masks and do
not even possess necessary MOPP or equivalent protective suits.

Exposures during GULF WAR I (August 1990 - November 1991) caused in part by
use of these same defective gas masks have resulted in over 159,238 Gulf War
veterans on permanent disability, and over 8013 dead as of May 2002.  This
casualty count is still increasing.  (Veteran's Benefit Administration,
Office of Performance Analysis and Integrity Data and information System, May
2002 Gulf War Veterans Information, September 10, 2002).  Today, the entire
Persian Gulf region still is a toxic and environmental wasteland because the
chemical, biological, and radiological contamination dispersed during Gulf
War I was never cleaned up.

As a combat veteran of Gulf War I and the Vietnam War and as an Army officer,
I must urge that every mother, father, son, and daughter demand that
President Bush and Secretary Rumsfeld replace all defective gas masks and
MOPP suits.

The President and Secretary Rumsfeld also must be required to finally provide
medical care for thousands of us who are Gulf War I combat veterans and who
are already sick because we were given and wore defective equipment while on
duty in the toxic wasteland that is the Persian Gulf.

Remember the President and his staff work for each of us! That is how our
government was created and must continue to function.  We cannot send the
pride of our nation and our community to Gulf War II with defective
equipment.  If we do, and thousands of our sons and daughters come back
disabled as has happened since Gulf War I, the future of our community and
nation is dismal.

The media may not show you a single dead body or injured warrior during the
next war. That was the strategy of the Gulf War I, but that's not the reality
of war. Death and injury are the reality of war.  That includes children.
Citizens who can see through the smokescreen of political rhetoric and the
sanitized image of war must speak up and demand replacement of defective
equipment. That is our obligation as Americans based on a heritage of
freedom. A freedom won by the legendary "Minutemen", the pride of Concord and
Lexington.