[Peace-discuss] DI letter published

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Wed Jan 22 08:06:17 CST 2003

The Daily Illini Online
http://www.dailyillini.com/jan03/jan22/opinions/stories/letter01.shtml
published Wednesday, January 22, 2002

Ignoring the facts
Monday's DI editorial "Including women in the draft" reflects a complete
ignorance of combat. The purpose of war and everyone's job in the military is
simply to kill. There is absolutely no location during a military deployment
that does not involve combat. All individuals must be ready for and willing
to engage in combat and kill any and everything that moves. Physical
conditioning and ability, while essential, does not determine whether or not
you will be assigned to a job that involves direct combat. Each "job," or
military occupational specialty, requires combat participation and thus
killing.

I have had exceptional women serve under and with me during peacetime and
wartime. However, during deployments a commander does not have the luxury of
permitting women to take maternity or family leave. During the first Gulf War
female hygiene turned into an unattainable nightmare and that is why so many
are on VA disability today. Military duty and especially combat is 24 hours
per day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Today, given the eternal adverse health and environmental consequences of war
using depleted uranium, chemical biological, radiological, and environmental
weapons it is my professional and personal opinion that war is obsolete. The
Gulf War confirmed casualty rate is now over 160,000 on Veterans Affairs
permanent disability and over 8,000 dead from combat injuries and exposures.
To resurrect an old question "Suppose they gave a war and no one came?" Maybe
we can achieve peace?

Major Doug Rokke, Ph.D.
University alumni

Send letters to letters at dailyillini.com.
Printer-friendly version

© 2001 Illini Media Company, all rights reserved.