[Peace-discuss] Another excerpt (Gandhi)

John Fettig jfettig at students.uiuc.edu
Fri Jan 31 01:08:36 CST 2003

Also in this book, Albert cites Gandhi with eight things that make
conversion of opponents to nonviolence more likely.  I think that we
ought to adopt these as the AWARE rules of operation, they are wise
words.

"1)  Refraining from violence or hostility.

2)  Real attempts to gain the opponent's trust.

3)  Refraining from humiliating the opponent, rather relying on the
power of the truth which you hold.

4)  Making visible sacrifices for one's cause - you may be asking your
opponent to sacrifice what s/he sees as her/his own self-interest or
self-esteem; to convince them, you should be prepared to do the same.

5)  Carrying on constructive work - positive activity reduces the
negative image that a society may have of those who noncooperate.

6)  Maintaining personal contact with the opponent - insures maximum
possible mutual understanding.

7)  Demonstrating trust of the opponent - when you have high
expectations of an opponent, these expectations may encourage her/him to
live up to them.

8)  Developing empathy, good will, and patience toward the opponent -
why address yourself to an opponent at all unless you assume s/he can
change?  If you deeply understand the motives, expectations, attitudes
and perceived interests of opponents as people, your actions are likely
to become more powerful."

Taken from: People Power: Applying Nonviolence Theory, David H. Albert,
1985, pp53-54, New Society Publishers, Philadelphia, PA

If anyone is interested, I made a photocopy of the bibliography and
suggested readings from the back of this book.  I can post it to the web
if there is demand.

John, excuse me while I run from the copyright police...