[Peace-discuss] Howard Dean: "Now That We're There We Can't Leave" (fwd)

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 3 11:14:52 CDT 2003

*****   National Public Radio (NPR)
SHOW: Morning Edition (11:00 AM AM ET) - NPR
July 2, 2003 Wednesday
LENGTH: 1493 words
HEADLINE: Howard Dean on issues that are important to him as a
Democratic presidential candidate
ANCHORS: BOB EDWARDS
BODY:

...[BOB] EDWARDS [host]: What would you be doing differently in postwar
Iraq?

Dr. DEAN: Now that we're there we can't leave.  We cannot allow chaos or
fundamentalist regime in Iraq because it could be fertile ground for
al-Qaeda.  First thing I would do is bring in 40 to 50,000 other troops.
I'd look to Arab countries, Islamic countries who are our allies, NATO,
the United Nations.  General Shinseki, before we went in, said that we did
not have enough troops.  The administration ignored that advice. It turned
out to be true.  It was a bad thing the administration ignored their own
military expertise.  We need those troops.  We're not keeping order in
Iraq.  And it seems to me that what we need is some expertise from people
who know how to police countries that are in some chaos and who understand
how to administer and build the institutions of democracy.  We're going to
be there for a long time in Iraq.  We can't leave.  Because if we do
before there's established democracy, many worse things will happen to
both the Iraqi people and to America if the terrorists move in....  *****