[Peace-discuss] A famous delaration updated for a new King George

patton paul ppatton at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 10 20:47:21 CDT 2003

A BuzzFlash Declaration of Independence for 2003

A BUZZFLASH READER CONTRIBUTION | Send to a Friend

* * *

An Independence Day Declaration

Of the People of

The United States of America

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for a people to
reform the political bands which have governed them at home, and to assume
among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the
Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the
opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which
impel them to that reformation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all human beings are created
equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable
Rights; that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness;
that to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among People,
deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed; that whenever
any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right
of the People to alter or abolish it, and to institute new Government,
laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such
form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and
Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long
established should not be changed for light or transient causes, and
accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to
suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing
the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses
and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object, evinces a design to
reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty,
to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future
security. Such has been the patient sufferance of these States, And such
is now the necessity which constrgins them to alter their former System of
Government. The history of the present President of the United States,
George W. Bush, is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all
having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over
these States. To prove this, let the Facts be submitted to a candid world.

He has spent the country's surplus and bankrupted the treasury, creating
the biggest annual deficit in history, to be followed by still larger
deficits and spiraling national debt that will plague our country for
generations to come.

He has presided in the largest economic downturn since the Great
Depression, losing nearly 3 million jobs, cutting unemployment benefits
for more Americans than any other President in United States History,
causing the largest stock market downturn in history and the near
bankruptcy of nearly every State in the Union, while repeatedly cutting
taxes for the wealthiest citizens and corporations in the country.

He has dissolved more international treaties in areas from environmental
protection, to human rights, to arms control than any President in United
States history, causing untold and unforeseeable harm to not only the
people of the United States, but to the people of the world as well.

He has presided over one of the largest security and intelligence failures
in the history of the United States, resulting in a most horrific
terrorist attack against our soil, then squandered world-wide sympathy
directed toward our country on a campaign of imperial aggression for the
economic benefit of global corporate interests.

He has attacked and taken over two sovereign countries, one unilaterally
against the will of the United Nations and the world community, thus
drastically changing longstanding foreign policies, and creating
world-wide distrust and disdain for the United States, and has provided no
effective plan to rebuild either of those countries.

He has removed or diminished more civil liberties for Americans, and
signed more laws and executive orders amending the Constitution, than any
other President in United States history, subjecting citizens and
non-citizens to unlawful searches, seizures, detentions, and unrepresented
and/or under-represented court trials with no benefit of jury.

He has repeatedly designed and promoted to law policies that invariably
benefit the short-term interests of the privileged wealthy and large
corporations over the interests of the vast majority of the American
People in the areas of health care, disability and retirement benefits,
environmental and consumer protection, and education, to name only a few.

He has repeatedly distorted facts or presented outright lies and
fabrications in order to persuade both the Congress and the American
People to support his personal and financial agendas, resulting in the
needless deaths and/or financial ruin of thousands of people both in this
country and around the world.

He has undermined the concept of a free and independent press by allowing
increased consolidation of ownership by fewer and larger corporate owners,
despite enormous public outcry against such changes.

In every stage of these Oppressions, We have petitioned, protested,
emailed, telephoned, written letters and otherwise humbly asked for
Redress: Our repeated requests have been answered only by repeated and
increased injury. A Head of State, whose character is thus marked by every
act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

Nor have we been wanting in attentions to our elected brethren in
Congress. We have warned them from time to time of the attempts by the
President to extend unwarranted jurisdiction over us. We have reminded
them of the circumstances of our forefathers emigration and settlement
here. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we
have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these
usurpations, which would inevitably interrupt our established form of
self-governance. They, too, have for the most part been deaf to the voice
of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, hold them, as we hold
the current President and his Administration, Enemies of Freedom.

We, therefore, the People of the United States of America, appealing to
the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, by
our own authority as the Governed, solemnly publish and declare that the
Government of these United States be returned to its rightful place under
the jurisdiction of the Governed; that the Government return to its
appropriate place as protector of the People and the Environment against
the special interests of the Corporations with renewed fiscal
responsibility for future generations; that the Government return our
country to its position as protector of liberty and freedom both
domestically and abroad, not through aggression, but through diplomacy,
renewed alliances and leadership; that the Government return to the
Constitutional principles that are the foundation of over two centuries of
successful self-government of these United States of America. And for the
support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of
Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our
Fortunes, and our Sacred Honor.

Signed, this day, July 4th of the Year 2003, by BuzzFlash readers