[Peace-discuss] Black Radical Congress

Alfred Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Mon Jul 14 11:47:15 CDT 2003

FYI, from http://eblackstudies.org/brc/fightback/public.html

BRC Statement Against The War of Retaliation
Black Radical Congress Statement on the Bombing of Afghanistan and
the War of Retaliation:
End US Aggression At Home and Abroad!

The Black Radical Congress condemns the bombing and ongoing military
operations in Afghanistan and the Central Asian Region. We call for
an immediate halt to the war of retaliation. The unjust killing of
innocent civilians in this war does nothing to end acts of terrorism
but instead perpetuates the cycle of senseless violence, death, and
destruction.

We further condemn the feverish efforts to whip the nation into a
patriot fervor, to squelch honest dissent to the war.

History clearly shows, as pointed out by many observers, that it was
the fostering of US economic and political interests in the Central
Asian region that led to the organization, funding, and training by
the CIA and the Pakistani ISI of anti-secular Islamic
"fundamentalist" Muslims there in the first place.

The US support for the Afghanistan war against the Soviets and the
subsequent maneuvering of corporate interests for the control of oil
and gas resources in Central Asia brought thousands of fundamentalist
Muslims to fight there. Now the US demand to uproot Osama Bin Laden,
the Al Qaeda organization, or the hunt for "twenty-three terrorists"
can not justify the wholesale bombing of an entire nation or the
massive military expenditures targeted for an "unending war against
terrorism". We oppose all imperialist wars and wars based in
religious fundamentalism.

It bears repeating that the US showed utter contempt, disrespect, and
overt racism toward African Americans, people of African descent, the
Palestinian people, and people of color throughout the world when it
withdrew support and refused to participate in the World Conference
Against Racism (WCAR).  This arrogant and racist stand only served to
place the US in isolation throughout the world fostering a climate of
increasing hostility and demonstrating that the US is unwilling to be
responsible to any international framework.

The impact of September 11 on the US economy and the war of
retaliation will disproportionately effect the African American and
other poor communities across this country with the massive lay-offs
as well as draw Black and people of color youth into military
service, killing, and death.  Yet young black people face sanctioned
terrorism at home every day in the form of police brutality and
murder, drugs, joblessness and incarceration.

The Black Radical Congress further condemns the use of military and
para-military aggression at home under the new Homeland Security Act.
This program constitutes little more than the refunding,
revitalization, and extension of the infamous Counter Intelligence
Program - Cointelpro.  Such programs have historically been directed
against all social justice movements in this country, particularly
the black liberation movement.

The Black Radical Congress urgently calls for the building of a Black
United Front Against the War and for the rebuilding and unification
of the Black Liberation movement.  The rebuilding of the BLM must be
linked to a deepening of the movement's work in the mass fightback
movements.

We stand for principled peace based on justice for the oppressed.  We
call for a unified movement in the fight against war, racism, and
repression. We uphold the demand of the African American people and
people of African descent world-wide for reparations. We express our
solidarity with the Arab peoples and all immigrant communities in
this country and around the world. We express our solidarity with the
Palestinian people in their fight to free Palestine. We reassert our
solidarity with the Cuban people in their fight to end the blockade.
And we call for an end to militarism and genocide and genocidal
violence in Africa.

Lastly, we oppose the opening of a theater of biological and chemical
warfare both here or in any part of the world. Biological and
chemical warfare is summarily a crime against humanity and should be
roundly condemned and declared a war crime by the international
community.

The war on "terrorism" and "homeland security" is not our war. Our
fight is the fight of the historically oppressed and exploited
against the unbridled power of our imperialist oppressors.

Black Radical Congress
National Office
Columbia University Station
P.O. Box 250791