[Peace-discuss] race and AWARE

Morton K.Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Thu Jul 17 19:15:28 CDT 2003

Thanks, Ricky, for a useful, constructive, and stimulating discussion.
It stimulated a few reactions:

1) To critique is not necessarily to be against. I think, therefore I
critique (apologies to Descartes), even those that I want to support.
The objects of a critique ought to understand this, especially in a
group like AWARE.
2) The activist's question is usually not what ought to be done, but
how to do it, not so much ends as means. People often favor different
means (of action) to achieve a common desired end result. Obvious?
3) I have problems with the words "race" and "racism". For me, the
problems associated with race are really problems of the "other", those
who don't belong to your "club", whose membership is variously defined.
It is a much larger problem than that of skin color. I could go into
this in greater detail if anyone were interested. On the other hand,
the "color" problem in the USA is perhaps our biggest internal "other"
problem, most particularly with regard to Afro-Americans, American
Indians, and Hispanics. It has multifaceted aspects/reasons for
persisting: economic, class, historic, tradition, ignorance, etc.
4) Not everything on the world stage is predominantly about "race".
Economics and  geopolitics play important roles. So to conflate "race"
with all the problems or conflicts of our times, e.g., the war in Iraq,
is to muddy the waters. Certainly, there are connections—race is used
to divide peoples, but it is not (always) the determining reason for
the conflicts. That people are contemptuous of far off (or even next
door) lives is a problem of the "other", of jingoism, callousness,
selfishness….
5) I admit to annoyance when someone demands that their oppression take
precedence over all others. I understand and sympathize with their
pain, but am not always sympathetic to their reasoning. There are other
urgent issues: the threat of nuclear war, or the recent and ongoing
wars, from Aceh to the Congo to Iraq. The race issue here and elsewhere
for me is a deep, secular, on-going, problem, and needs steady
attention and activism, but at particular moments in time will not take
precedence in everyone's minds. Similar kinds of issues are women's
rights or the environment.
	Muata said he is running out of patience. Fine; he'll do what he feels
he must, but he ought not to expect a similar reaction from everyone.
Note, this is NOT to say that AWARE should not be more proactive in
trying to attend to racial issues. People do what they think they can.
The working group is, I hope, trying to formulate actions that can be
taken in our name and promoting ideas to be considered by the whole
group. Let the working group bring them forward to be discussed.
6) Your plea for tolerance, and working together with others aiming at
the same goals, cannot be overestimated.

Mort