[Peace-discuss] My reply to e-mails

Tchiguka at aol.com Tchiguka at aol.com
Thu Jul 17 19:55:33 CDT 2003

Tuesday, 15 July 2003

To Whomever Will Listen:

I would like to take this time to thank those individuals who took the time
to read and respond to my e-mail. Most of the responses were positive; some
were negative; some were unclear to me. Nonetheless, thank you.

Raia, Meghan, and Sarah, I'm a pessimist on the state of the world, but
people like you give me hope-something I have lots of. I hope that you continue the
antiracism struggle. We need more white people with a clear understanding of
racism.

Robert, why would you question the authorship of my e-mail? When Carl
Estabrook sent his e-mail invoking COINTELPRO plots, you never replied by saying
Carl's language sounds like Ward Churchill or Jim Vander Wall. Why question my
authorship but not his? Is it because you think that blacks are incapable of
independent thought? I had to put that on the table, Robert, because though most
of the time you have very good things to say, you may harbor some racist
notions. Please do not reply quickly to this; I want you to seriously think about
why you sent that e-mail. I assure you that the thoughts expressed in my e-mail
are my own. By the way, who is Hippie Joe?

Susan, I have several things to say to you. First, since you have not been to
an AWARE meeting in over a year, you are not qualified to speak on behalf of
AWARE currently. I have been to several AWARE meetings, so I know what's going
on. Reading meeting minutes is not enough to know what's going on in AWARE.
It would behoove you start attending the Sunday meetings. Nor are you qualified
to speak to my personality and character, because you don't know me.

Second, I do not subscribe to white middle class norms of etiquette and
propriety. I come from a black, urban, working class experience, so I'm not going
to play by your rules; I'm new to this middle class shit. Where I'm from, if I
have a problem with you, I will call you out directly. No beating around the
bush. And that means naming names and finger pointing if need be.

Third, how do you talk about racism by not talking about racism? My use of
the race card was appropriate given that race was the subject matter. The race
card comment, Susan, bespeaks yet again white flight in dealing with race.
Instead of commenting on my use of the race card, try commenting on AWARE's use of
the race card in advertising to perspective members an antiracism commitment.
Let's be fair.

Fourth, my activism is not of any consequence here. What is consequential,
however, is that the Antiwar, Antiracism Effort professes nominally to be an
antiracism movement, but actively does nothing regarding antiracism. I came into
AWARE to do antiwar and antiracism work, which is explicit in the group's
acronym. So please don't play the game of shifting the focus off AWARE and on me.
I am the victim of AWARE's false advertising. Remember that.

Next, there is a big difference between an antiracist rushing to the exit
door of struggle, so to speak, and an antiracist who is rushing to the exit door
of an antiracism organization because of its lack of commitment towards racial
justice. I am the latter. I'm in the antiracism struggle for the long haul. I
have no choice. And although I deeply respect Bishop Desmond Tutu, I do not
need him to remind me of my commitment to the antiracism movement. My heart and
mind are my conscience.

And finally, your comment "rushing out of the exit door is something men are
good at" is sexist. Men are not the only gender good for doing that sort of
thing. In fact, I know of some women who are equally good at rushing out exit
doors. I believe that we need an ideologically protean movement which
understands the connections between concomitant xenophobia, i.e., racism, sexism, and
homophobia; which understands that if you have racist sensibilities, then more
than likely you have sexist, and homophobic sensibilities.

Carl, you're right about me: I am an agent provocateur for the FBI. We have
been keeping a close eye on AWARE since its formation in 2001. In fact, AWARE
is among the FBI's top ten list of subversive organizations seeking to
undermine the U.S. government. The FBI, in conjunction with the Champaign Police
Department, is desperately working on destroying this effective political group by
having agents join AWARE to disintegrate it from within. Surveillance is
planted throughout the room where AWARE meets every Sunday to keep track of its
activities…

I hope you can laugh at this, Carl, and find the inanity and paranoia
expressed in your e-mail. AWARE is hardly the Black Panthers, so come back down the
Earth.

Sincerely,

Muata