[Peace-discuss] Fwd:Second News-Gazette Article on Competing Rallies on Pros

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Mon Jul 21 07:44:33 CDT 2003

A friend writes --
This article points out that it was Good Vibes that donated the use of a sound system for the pro-war rally that Mark Thompson, of Slot and Wing Hobbies, organized. It's good that I know what businesses to avoid now.

   Pro America rally organizers expect large crowd
      Published Online Mar 22, 2003
      By PAUL WOOD
      News-Gazette Staff Writer
       CHAMPAIGN - The organizer of a Pro America rally on North Prospect
   Avenue says today's crowd should be much larger than last week's.
       The rally is competing for space on Prospect Avenue to try to
   influence Saturday shoppers. For more than six months, a Prospect For
   Peace rally has been held from 2 to 4 p.m. Saturdays.
       The Pro America Rally will run from 1:30 to 4 p.m., with an
   oversize flag, music and miniature flags.
       Organizer Mark Thompson said he has contacted groups and expects
   hundreds of people.
       The first week, the rally never had more than about 60 people at a
   time, but Thompson expects far more today.
       It looks huge, he said Friday. But 500, 50,000 or 500,000 is not
   enough people, considering that our soldiers are giving their lives
   for America.
       It may seem so insignificant for an individual to come out on the
   street. But just ask a Vietnam veteran how important it would have
   been to him. This is a darn good way to show support.
       Thompson said he expected his crowd to grow slowly.
       After the Illini (basketball) victory, we can all come out for the
   second half of the rally, he said.
       He said fellow organizers have contacted many organizations,
   including local American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars posts,
   Veterans Administration facilities and political Web sites.
       The anti-government crowd is getting under a lot of people's
   skins, he said.
       He is also running radio ads on WPGU The Planet and WDWS.
       Initially, Thompson, who owns Slot And Wing Hobbies, was paying
   for promoting the rally out of his own pocket.
       We're getting donations now, he said. People are realizing the
   costs involved in doing this. One anonymous donor gave me $200.
       Good Vibes is providing a sound system so that the rally can play
   the Illini vs. Notre Dame game, then patriotic music, and Pepsi has
   donated some beverages, he said.
       We got the word out to a number of the unions. We're just crossing
   our fingers that there will be a lot of people, he said. You would
   think a war would motivate people - it seems it's motivated the other
   crowd.
       Thompson said he believes most Americans support President Bush's
   military policy.
       Our country's not divided. The people who really stand on that
   other side are really quite slim. I think people realize war is an
   incredibly horrible thing, but we've got a madman in office who, just
   for the sake of his lifestyle, wasn't willing to stand down, even at
   the cost of his country, he said, referring to Saddam Hussein.

      You can reach Paul Wood at (217) 351-5203 or via e-mail at
   pwood at news-gazette.com.

   << Back

Search N-G Stories

   Please Note:
   The only stories in this archive are those stories from The
   News-Gazette that were published online. There are many other stories
   published in the print edition of the newspaper that cannot be found
   in this archive.

   Select year [2003] Results per page:[20]    Search

   [INLINE]

                                   [LINK]