[Peace-discuss] [from-flo-in-palestine]

peter john rohloff rohloff at students.uiuc.edu
Sun Jun 1 12:26:53 CDT 2003

More from ISM...

Message: 1
   Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 18:08:19 -0000
   From: "flo_razowsky1" <walkfree at justice.com>
Subject: (unknown)

5/29/03

greetings. i apologize for so long in writing. i am doing okay, still
fighting with the interior ministry over my status here. it seems
they are no longer talking so strongly about deportation. they have
offered me a two week visa that will expire on june 4. at that point,
i am to leave of my own will. we are contesting this visa, and things
seem in a deadlock over it. so i am  in a bit of a limbo at the
moment. in the mean time, i am continuing my work with the ism. since
i have been exiled to jerusalem, i have been working on media and
legal logistics alot. unfortunatly, i have become a sort of
spokesperson for the ism, attending press conferences and rallies on
behalf of the ism. i look forward to getting out of jerusalem back
into tul karem soon. i much prefer to be in the cities amongst the
people, but for the time being i realize this is important work.
there are right now 5 of us from the ism fighting deportation. three
of us out on conditions and two that have been in prison for the past
week. the targeting of internationals has grown beyond just the ism,
with currently also the christian peacemakers team (cpt)(who work in
hebron) and the committee against house demolitions (cahd)(which is
mostly israelis) having come under attack by the military/government.
it is a crack down on all those working to expose the truth of this
situation. one of the members of cpt has been in prison for over a
week with a deportation order over his head, and a rabbi involved in
the cahd was interrogated by the shabaac (equaling a type of cia). no
one is giving up though, and this targeting has seemed to only bring
groups more together and to highten motivation to do this work.
although all of the news is full of this roadmap talk, daily
palestine is plagued by military operations, civilian deaths, and
strict curfews. someone in the israeli government said that no one
needs to worry about the roadmap because the palestinians will never
give up their "terror tactics", but i think the reality is that no
one needs to worry about the roadmap because the israeli government
will do its best to continue to provoke the palestinian population
into defending themselves.
tonight was "jerusalem day", the anniversary when israel "conquered"
jerusalem. the bulk of east jerusalem was shut down by the military
in order for the jewish population to parade through the streets. we
watched for over an hour as tens of thousands of flag waving israeli
jews took over the streets of east jerusalem on their way to the old
city. there are entrances into the old city in the jewish sections of
town, but for some reason they felt the need to enter the old city
through the muslim section. it's things like this that seem to be
provocations.
i hope you all are well. once again, i thank you all so much for
support you have offered me.
my love to you all--flo