[Peace-discuss] more Ashcroft fun

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 5 15:08:18 CDT 2003

Ashcroft Wants Broader Anti-Terror Powers

By JESSE J. HOLLAND, Associated Press Writer, June 5,
2003

WASHINGTON - Attorney General John Ashcroft asked
Congress Thursday for expanded powers to hold
suspected terrorists indefinitely before trials and to
let him seek the death penalty or life imprisonment
for any terrorist act.

Ashcroft told the House Judiciary Committee that the
2001 Patriot Act signed into law after the Sept. 11
attacks should also be expanded to let prosecutors
bring charges against anyone who supports or works
with suspected terrorist groups as "material
supporters."

"The law has several weaknesses which terrorists could
exploit, undermining our defenses," Ashcroft said.

Ashcroft, who held up copies of al-Qaida's
declarations of war against America and read aloud
some of the names of those killed in the Sept. 11,
2001, attacks, said new penalties in the USA Patriot
Act have helped the Justice Department prevent more
terrorist attacks in America.

Ashcroft also said the department did not break any
laws despite an internal Justice Department report
that criticized the government's treatment of illegal
aliens held after the attacks.

The department's inspector general found "significant
problems" in the Bush administration's actions toward
762 foreigners held on immigration violations after
the attacks. Only one, Zacarias Moussaoui, has been
charged in the United States with a terrorism-related
crime; 505 have been deported.

Some of the Sept. 11 detainees were held for up to
eight months, although most were deported before a
90-day deadline for releasing them.

Ashcroft said department policy, "for which we do not
apologize," is to detain people who are in the country
illegally for as long as it takes to clear them before
they are deported.

He also said the Justice Department would investigate
allegations of abuse of the detainees, although 14 of
18 cases referred so far already have been cleared
without any charges being filed. "We do not stand for
abuse," Ashcroft said.

The USA Patriot Act granted the government broad new
powers to use wiretaps, electronic and computer
eavesdropping and searches, and the authority to
access a wide range of financial and other information
in its investigations.

Under the threat of the increased USA Patriot Act
penalties, several detainees are cooperating with the
Justice Department to reduce their sentences, Ashcroft
said.

"Since September 11, we have obtained criminal plea
agreements, many under seal, from more than 15
individuals who, according to the agreement and in
order to have the agreement carried out, will continue
and must continue to cooperate with the government in
its investigation of terrorists," he said.

One person gave federal officials intelligence on
terrorist weapons stored in the United States, while
another has identified places being scouted or cased
for potential attacks by al-Qaida, he said.

"With the Patriot Act and our prevention strategy, we
can point to steady progress in America's war on
terrorism," he said.

Several Democrats complained about the department's
use of the new anti-terrorism powers. "We are
concerned about the way you have used your powers, the
way you have detained immigrants," said Rep. Maxine
Waters , D-Calif.

Added Rep. Howard Berman , D-Calif.: "Some of us find
that the collateral damage is greater than it needs to
be in the conduct of this war."

House Judiciary Committee Chairman James
Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., says he is sensitive to civil
liberties complaints. "To my mind, the purpose of the
Patriot Act is to secure our liberties and not
undermine them," he said.

Sensenbrenner complained earlier this year that the
department wasn't sharing enough information with
lawmakers for them to judge how the act is working.
That lack of information has made it unlikely that he
will support expanding the department's powers, or
renewing its current authority when the act expires in
October 2005, Sensenbrenner said in April.

"My support for this legislation is neither perpetual
or unconditional," he said Thursday.
Since then, the Justice Department has answered dozens
of written questions from the House Judiciary
Committee and has sent several Justice Department
officials to testify before it.
___
On the Net:
Justice Department: http://www.usdoj.gov