[Peace-discuss] Fwd:KUCINICH SCORES BIG WITH ACTIVISTS

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Fri Jun 6 19:06:30 CDT 2003

KUCINICH CAMPAIGN GAINING GROUND AMONG GRASSROOTS

At a huge gathering of progressive leaders and activists in Washington D.C.  yesterday, Dennis Kucinich stole the show.  Speaking to more than 1200 movers  and shakers for civil rights, labor, feminism, peace and the environment at  the "Take Back America" conference (sponsored by Campaign for America's  future), Kucinich "electrified" the crowd with a "spell-binding speech."

To give you a flavor, here's a description from Salon, whose headline  reported that "Kucinich's Bush roasting gets the biggest cheers":

"The most impassioned applause of the day was reserved for Kucinich.  Introduced by Leo Gerard, president of the United Steelworkers of America,  as 'the only vegan in Congress,' Kucinich took the stage to John  Lennon's 'Imagine' and proceeded to conjure the heyday of American  progressivism by promising a new version of Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Works  Progress Administration. 'We're gonna rebuild America's cities and we're gonna  do it with America's steel'... Medicare for all, money pulled out of the  Pentagon budget to pay for schools and other domestic programs, and 'total  nuclear disarmament.' He spoke to the crowd's fury over the war in Iraq,  getting a screaming standing ovation when he cried: 'This war was wrong!  This war was fraudulent!  We must expose this administration.'

"When he was finished it was clear there was no point in having anyone else  follow him. 'Dennis Kucinich has barbecued George Bush,' said the emcee. 'How  about we have a barbecue right now?'"

The crowd adjourned to a party, according to Salon, partly because conference  organizers took pity on Dick Gephardt and delayed his video message, scheduled  to follow Kucinich, which "would have played like a parody of establishment  banality."

***
The Kucinich for President Campaign is gaining ground among key activists.   Dennis has been all over TV in recent days for his effort to get answers from  the Bush administration on the misleading claims that led our country to war.

One way for you to connect with other peace and justice activists is to join  the organizing and strategizing of the grassroots group, MoveOn.org (if not  yet involved, go to http://www.moveon.org/keepmeposted/).

***
Spread the word about the Kucinich campaign <http://www.kucinich.us>   Send a few dollars to the Kucinich campaign <https://www.kucinich.us/contribute.php>

***
PS. While there was no doubt to those in attendance yesterday at the "Take  Back America" conference that Dennis Kucinich had won the event, some  journalists seem so blinded by their preconceived notions of who is  a "frontrunner" or "contender" or "leading candidate," that they have  difficulty reporting objectively on what happens in front of their eyes.  In the Los Angeles Times account, which acknowledged that Kucinich's speech  was "repeatedly interrupted by standing ovations," Dennis is reduced to  little more than a footnote.  What's striking about some of the mainstream  coverage of our insurgent campaign is how similar it is to the dismissive  coverage of Jerry Brown in '91 and Jesse Jackson in '87 -- while prominence  and tens of thousands of words were lavished on well-funded "contenders" who  barely made it past the first New Hamphire primary, and whose campaigns are no longer even remembered.

If you would like to be removed from this mail list please click here:  http://www.kucinich.us/email/manage.php?key=ahhsjTmfWgJ3