[Peace-discuss] gulf war illness

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Fri Jun 13 06:59:59 CDT 2003

Veteran wins Gulf War ruling
The High Court in London has upheld a ruling that a former soldier is
entitled to a pension because he is suffering from a syndrome linked to his service
in the 1991 Gulf War.

Campaigners hope it will make it easier for other veterans who say their
health has been wrecked to claim damages.

But the judge has made it clear that the ruling does not mean official
recognition of the generic concept of Gulf War Syndrome. Subsequent cases would have
to be considered on their individual merits, he said.

Mr Justice Newman decided on Friday to back a decision by a war pensions
tribunal that former Parachute Regiment medical officer Shaun Rusling was the
victim of an identifiable syndrome attributable to his service in the Gulf.

I treated Iraqi casualties with more care and compassion than the MoD has
treated me
Shaun Rusling
The decision had been challenged by the Ministry of Defence (MoD), which does
not accept the existence of any such syndrome.
Initially, the War Pensions Agency had refused Mr Rusling a war pension.

But that ruling was overturned at the subsequent tribunal, prompting the MoD
to act.

After the judgment, Mr Rusling said: "I am elated. It is a total vindication
of all war veterans suffering from Gulf War syndrome."

However, he criticised the MoD for repeatedly trying to block his claim.

"How many times do you have to go before a court to prove the problems you
have got from service for your country?

"The treatment we have had is outrageous. I treated Iraqi casualties with
more care and compassion than the MoD has treated me, and my fellow sufferers
from the Gulf War."

Many veterans of the 1991 Gulf War claim to suffer a range of symptoms which
they say amounts to a "syndrome".

Injections

Depression, eczema, fatigue, nausea and breathing problems were among the
symptoms they reported.

They have identified several possible causes, with the most likely being
injections against chemical weapons.

The MoD disputes there is any one syndrome. Though it accepts some troops
have suffered ill-health as a result of the war, it says factors such as exposure
to depleted uranium and the smoke from burning oil wells cannot be ignored.

It had turned down claims by victims for army pensions, until Mr Rusling won
his appeal in May 2002.
During the Gulf War, he served as an army medic in the Parachute Regiment,
treating the Iraqi wounded at a field hospital inside the Saudi border.

After coming home, he suffered chronic fatigue and was discharged on medical
grounds in 1995.

A year ago a pensions appeal tribunal cited Gulf War syndrome as the injury,
wound or disease on which his case was based.

The MoD appealed and the case went to the High Court.

But in his ruling, Mr Justice Newman said he could find no basis upon which
the tribunal's decision could be legally impugned.

More claims

Mr Rusling's lawyer Mark McGee said the victory may make it easier for other
Gulf War veterans to pursue their claims.

"All other Gulf veterans who say they are suffering from this condition will
now be able to bring their claims to an appeals tribunal."

But in a statement after the hearing the MoD pointed out that despite the
decision, the judgment did not find that Gulf War Syndrome exists.

"We accept that some Gulf veterans have become ill and that many veterans
believe this ill-health is related to their Gulf experience.

"There is no medical or scientific consensus about the causes of this
ill-health.

"The overwhelming consensus of medical and scientific opinion is that the
symptoms reported by some Gulf veterans do not constitute a discrete medical
disorder or syndrome."

Four soldiers who fought in this year's conflict are threatening to sue the
MoD because they say they share similar symptoms.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/health/2986898.stm

Published: 2003/06/13 09:11:12 GMT

© BBC MMIII