[Peace-discuss] Re: 4th of July

Laura Haber comradelaura at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 29 10:45:02 CDT 2003

I'm not on the peace-discuss list but I thought this comment would be more
appropriate for the peace-discuss list than the general peace list (so respond
to me directly if you want me to see the response)...

Ok. I hate to get technical. Especially since I'm not involved in the planning
of this and will be out of town for the 4th of July event and its pretty late
in the game to mention this but...

Education is primarily funded by local and state governments. This is the
cornerstone of the idea of local control of education. The military is
federally controlled and funded. It isn't a neat straight line from military
funding at the federal level to lack of state and local money for education.
Yeah, there are federal mandates and programs that could be funded better. But
the preponderance of funding for education, as written in the state
constitution, should come from the state. Though you are free to argue that
this should be otherwise. Of course, if the federal government were to promote
economic development instead of throwing money away on wars this would help
state budgets which then might help education...

I do think that if people were better educated they wouldn't support these
wars. (But education level in terms of years of school doesn't make people less
likely to support wars.)

anyway, food for thought. I applaud the overall spirit of the entry and all of
the hard work of the folks who are organizing this.

-Laura