[Peace-discuss] letter to legislators- pass it on

Lisa Chason chason at shout.net
Mon Mar 3 13:03:26 CST 2003

> Friends:
>

>   Please copy this letter to a new email message, sign
>   the letter and then send it to as many people as
>   possible.
>

>    If yours is the 50th, 100th, 150th, etc. name on the
>   signature list,
>
>    please also forward the letter to
> Dasha68 at aol.com
>   and
> jyarrow at seanet.com , so that as signatures
>   accumulate, this letter can be sent to all Democratic Senators and
Representatives and reprinted wherever possible.

>    Thank you.
>

>    AN OPEN LETTER TO THE SILENT DEMOCRATS
>

>    We stand at a pivotal moment in history. Millions of
>   Americans are proclaiming their opposition to President Bush's proposed
unilateral invasion of Iraq as are millions more across the globe.

>     Last month saw massive rallies all across the land, the
>  largest preemptive antiwar movement in history.  Yet only a handful of
voices in the Democratic Party have dared to speak out in a way that
represents our deepest concern.  Many of us voted for you as an alternative
to the arrogant militarism of the Bush Administration, only to be
disappointed and angered by your unwillingness to stand up to and challenge
this  President, who is hell bent on war no matter the cost.

>  As Senator Byrd stated so eloquently in his February
>   12th Senate Floor Speech, there is no debate, no discussion, nothing
coming from most of you, only silence. Your silence amounts to acquiescence
and that is not only unwise, it is dangerous at a time like this.

>  Well, enough is enough!  Put aside your fear of "unpatriotic" labels and
take the real pulse of the American people. You will find that the majority
of people who voted you in are against this war, and we ARE NOTICING THAT
YOU ARE NOT REPRESENTING US!

>    Stand up and say that to preemptively strike out
>   when an act of aggression has not been committed by our "enemy" is to
set a dangerous precedent that is in direct opposition to what this country
should stand for.  Now is not the time to be silent.

>    Now is the time to say that you have heard our
>   voices:
>
>    that the majority of your constituents want peace!
>   It is the patriotic duty   of every American to oppose the misguided
policies of their government.

>    And it is your duty too!  Now is not the time to be
>   silent.  Now is the time to voice your opposition to a policy that is
thrusting an already dangerous world into an even more dangerous crisis.

>    We need you, our elected representatives, to end
>   your silence in the halls of the Senate and Congress and to convey the
will of the people in a way that will make President Bush take heed. We need
you to do