[Peace-discuss] Where's our P4P plane?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 5 16:46:21 CST 2003

[It looks as if the local FBI guys are being pretty far down the secret
police pecking order -- I haven't seen any evidence that they have a
plane, too.  But keep looking up. Regards, Carl]

ASSOCIATED PRESS, BLOOMINGTON IN - The FBI acknowledged that a small plane
whose frequent, unexplained flights over the city had raised fears among
some residents is being used by the agency to monitor people who might
have terrorist connections. . . Earlier in the week, when aviation
officials disclosed that the aircraft was conducting surveillance, the FBI
had denied any link to the plane.
	Agent Thomas V. Fuentes said the FBI issued the denial because a
reporter asked if the airplane is doing electronic surveillance, which it
is not. . . Several students at Indiana University have been questioned by
FBI agents, university and agency officials confirmed. Agency spokesman
Doug Garrison, however, would not say if those interviews were related to
national security or the airplane's flights. Besides individuals, Fuentes
and Davis said, the aircraft is monitoring vehicles and businesses --
particularly those open late at night from which faxes or e-mails can be
sent.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Midwest/02/28/mystery.flights.ap/

JASON VEST, CQ - "Use of small planes for surveillance in investigations
is nothing new," said Indianapolis FBI spokesman Doug Garrison. "Normally
our pilots fly at over 5,000 feet. At that altitude, to the human eye a
plane looks like a speck. This time, they flew a little too low," he told
the local media
	Garrision added, "We're not happy that people know we're down
there [in Bloomington] now," but that the Indianapolis field office felt
it had no choice but to reveal the nature of the flights out of concerns
that unanswered questions might lead to undue panic.

	***